End of Year results :(. Please, help us to understand the procedures..

Dears,

Our son is in reception and attends ASD Base. He got his End of Year results and we are very disappointed, because he scored only one "Expected" judgment out of seventeen. We know him very well and do not agree with the judgement. We heard today from his teacher, that it is because of his lack of English language understanding. Is it really like that? Our son will be unclassified because he does not speak and does not fully understand English? He is familiar with many areas from the Early Learning Goals standards and we have pictures to prove it. We were asking the teachers many times if it is better to speak to Patryk in English but they said that it is not necessary and that we can talk with him in our mother tongue. In terms of our son's progress, my husband and I asked the teachers to write notes in his communication book about the disadvantages he has, but they still keep writing about what he was playing with or they just leave simple information that he had a good day.

Another thing is about our son's OT provision. We had his EHCP review meeting four months ago, and still are waiting for paperwork. The teachers said, that he will be reassessed at school, but the OT is off sick. We have been asking for her for a long time and she was always off sick.. Is there any way to make a complaint and what if we would like to change the school? What is the procedure? My husband thinks that you (English people) simply do not like immigrants :).

We would be grateful for your opinions.

[locked by moderator due to duplicate thread]

Parents
  • Sometimes it is better in terms of a child getting more support for them not to have achieved expected. My son doesn't qualify for an ehcp because he is making progress. Being multi lingual is something you should be proud of . It is quite a skill to be able to speak more than one language. Being autistic myself, I can understand that that must add an extra level of anxiety to an Asd child but he has not known any different. Have you done a social story for him about when to speak each language to help him understand use "rules" for this ?

It is very normal to wait a long time for assessments as there are too many children needing an over subscribed service. 

Did you contact the senco for an update before term ended ?

If you want to complain you need to contact the chair of governors. 

• Sometimes it is better in terms of a child getting more support for them not to have achieved expected. My son doesn't qualify for an ehcp because he is making progress. Being multi lingual is something you should be proud of . It is quite a skill to be able to speak more than one language. Being autistic myself, I can understand that that must add an extra level of anxiety to an Asd child but he has not known any different. Have you done a social story for him about when to speak each language to help him understand use "rules" for this ?

It is very normal to wait a long time for assessments as there are too many children needing an over subscribed service. 

Did you contact the senco for an update before term ended ?

If you want to complain you need to contact the chair of governors. 

Children
No Data