Not diagnosed yet, has sleep issues and sensory issues

Can anyone help me ? I have a 4 year old daughter who has not been diagnosed yet and currently going through process for a referral. I have quite a lot of bad nights with her sleeping. She normally wakes up once twice through the night for 2-4 hours and it takes along time to get her of to sleep she tells me she’s scared,  she sleeps with me in the end. I’m just wondering if anyone else has this problem if so what are your ideas/thoughts? I have been told my her senco at school this is affecting her in school and it needs to be sorted. Iv tried leaving nights on and doesn’t make a difference Iv tried giving her a weighted blanket. She does have a rigid routine before bed as it unsettles her if it’s not done. 

Parents
  • My daughter has always had difficulty settling down and I can't remember the last time she slept through the night.  She was prescribed melatonin when she was younger, which helped her to get to sleep at around 9pm, but because I disguised it in a bedtime drink she would still wake around 2am with the added distress of wetting the bed, so I stopped that.  I also suspected that it contributed to her 'crazy nights' but didn't explore this theory.  The only times she has slept soundly has been after a really active day.  As she has got older (she's now 14), she has wanted to sleep in for longer, but she still won't settle until around midnight, and I have had to change my attitude/ expectations regarding the night time routine and be more accepting of her behaviour.  I expect to be getting her to settle from about 9 till midnight so I have a soft light and cosy chair in her room while I listen to the radio on low volume or text my friends etc. I don't get annoyed when she wakes me up with shouting at 2am, and as long as I get to her quickly and stay calm and quiet I can often get her back to sleep easily.  I used to try to ignore her, but she would work herself up to a meltdown and it would be back to square one.  So she sleeps midnight - 2ish, then 2.15ish - 8 if I can get her up.  I sleep 12.30 - 2am, then 2.30-6.30am.  I'm now going to see if I can pick up some tips from the other replies in this thread!  Good luck x

• My daughter has always had difficulty settling down and I can't remember the last time she slept through the night.  She was prescribed melatonin when she was younger, which helped her to get to sleep at around 9pm, but because I disguised it in a bedtime drink she would still wake around 2am with the added distress of wetting the bed, so I stopped that.  I also suspected that it contributed to her 'crazy nights' but didn't explore this theory.  The only times she has slept soundly has been after a really active day.  As she has got older (she's now 14), she has wanted to sleep in for longer, but she still won't settle until around midnight, and I have had to change my attitude/ expectations regarding the night time routine and be more accepting of her behaviour.  I expect to be getting her to settle from about 9 till midnight so I have a soft light and cosy chair in her room while I listen to the radio on low volume or text my friends etc. I don't get annoyed when she wakes me up with shouting at 2am, and as long as I get to her quickly and stay calm and quiet I can often get her back to sleep easily.  I used to try to ignore her, but she would work herself up to a meltdown and it would be back to square one.  So she sleeps midnight - 2ish, then 2.15ish - 8 if I can get her up.  I sleep 12.30 - 2am, then 2.30-6.30am.  I'm now going to see if I can pick up some tips from the other replies in this thread!  Good luck x

Children
No Data