Brushing teeth

Evening,

I'm looking for people to share how they get their autistic children to brush their teeth please.My daughter is really struggling and i'm running out of ideas to try to get her to brush her teeth.All tips and help grateful as always.

Thank you x

• I am very sorry you are having a problem getting your daughter to clean her teeth. I was late in being diagnosed on the Spectrum it was 10 years ago I was given a diagnoses  of Higher Functioning Autism . My late Mother would gave felt for you to trying to get me to clean my teeth it was so difficult to do.How old is your daughter? If she is very young you could say her doll or teddy is going to brush their teeth an that might encourage her to start brushing her teeth by herself. What kind of tooth paste does she use I use a toothpaste that is natural no chemicals in it what so ever, it is called Weleda,  itvis peppermint free and I think it is great. Some of the other Toothpastes had strong chemical smells in them and made me always want to be sick when I was brushing my Teeth  Then I was told about the Weleda Toothpaste and that is what I use all the time now  I do hope I have given you a little advice that might be of some help to you.

Helena

• Hi, my little boy uses a flavourless toothpaste called oranurse. I mix it with the baby flavoured toothpaste he likes. This way I know he’s getting the right protection. His school have also done a Pensivecial story to help with this. He had to have some teeth removed last year, but is doing much better at the moment. 

• Hello, 

My son uses a Dr Barman’s toothbrush that has three sides almost. It is good because he hates brushing and it gets all sides of the tooth in one go. I got it from amazon. Also, Lush does a range of tooth powders which may be worth trying. Good luck 

• My son is 3 and we play games and make silly noises recently, we do "yaaawwwn like a hippopotamus" and a George of the jungle voice warble. It changes from time to time as his interests change, the hippo thing came from a book he liked, so relating it to other interests helps. Before this, we used to do numbers or the alphabet, and we'd brush his teeth in order. Songs have helped, too. 

• She has started to let me with the smaller brush, we made a deal she does it in the morning ( not well!) I do it at night she even helps put paste on her teeth. 

She had real problems with her teeth she pulled 8 of her baby teeth out by 6 and a half and now she is trying to pull the adult ones, she can't stand the pressure feeling as they come in.

Will your daughter see the dentist? It took alot of work and a very patient dentist! But my daughter gets hers checked every 3 months and gets a fluoride treatment on the weaker ones it made a big difference

• Ahhh okay brilliant that sounds good does she let you do that easily? my daughters milk teeth have started to drop out now :( x

• Hi again! 

Mine also has issues with this she can't stand the feeling of the brush on her gums, doesn't help that her baby teeth had no enamel and were disintegrating when they came through I spoke to the dental hygienist and she recommended down sizing to a soft baby brush and milk toothpaste (0-2 years) this has made a massive difference we also smear some over her teeth with a finger to allow it to soak into the teeth