Brushing teeth

Evening,

I'm looking for people to share how they get their autistic children to brush their teeth please.My daughter is really struggling and i'm running out of ideas to try to get her to brush her teeth.All tips and help grateful as always.

Thank you x

Parents
  • Hi again! 

Mine also has issues with this she can't stand the feeling of the brush on her gums, doesn't help that her baby teeth had no enamel and were disintegrating when they came through I spoke to the dental hygienist and she recommended down sizing to a soft baby brush and milk toothpaste (0-2 years) this has made a massive difference we also smear some over her teeth with a finger to allow it to soak into the teeth

• Ahhh okay brilliant that sounds good does she let you do that easily? my daughters milk teeth have started to drop out now :( x

• She has started to let me with the smaller brush, we made a deal she does it in the morning ( not well!) I do it at night she even helps put paste on her teeth. 

She had real problems with her teeth she pulled 8 of her baby teeth out by 6 and a half and now she is trying to pull the adult ones, she can't stand the pressure feeling as they come in.

Will your daughter see the dentist? It took alot of work and a very patient dentist! But my daughter gets hers checked every 3 months and gets a fluoride treatment on the weaker ones it made a big difference

• She has started to let me with the smaller brush, we made a deal she does it in the morning ( not well!) I do it at night she even helps put paste on her teeth. 

She had real problems with her teeth she pulled 8 of her baby teeth out by 6 and a half and now she is trying to pull the adult ones, she can't stand the pressure feeling as they come in.

Will your daughter see the dentist? It took alot of work and a very patient dentist! But my daughter gets hers checked every 3 months and gets a fluoride treatment on the weaker ones it made a big difference

Children
No Data