Desperate Please Help ~ 4 Year old autistic daughter wont eat?

Hi,

I am new to this forum. My daughter is 4 years old and was diagnosed with autism in July 2011.

She has an extreemly restricted diet and up to 3 weeks ago would only eat Petits Filous Yogurts and Biscuits (Heinz Biscotti, and Tesco Rich Tea).

Petits Filous have recently changed their packaging and now she will only eat Hinz Biscotti and Tesco Rich Tea biscuits.

However, she has began to eat less and less biscuits as the days have progressed and today has only eaten about 10 biscuits all day.

She drinks robinsons squash reguarly. We do give her minadex but this has recently been discontinued.

I really need some advice, I know that autistic children have restricted diets but I havent been able to find example of any that are this restrictive.

She seems extreemly tired, she was full of energy before when she ate the yogurts but now she looks very pale and is losing weight. She starts school in 2 weeks at an autistic resource base school but I'm worried she wont have the energy.

I have booked an appointment to see the GP on Monday to discuss any suppliments such as meal replacement drink that we could possibly give her but these would need to be mixed in with her orange squash so they couldnt be milkshake based and I dont know if supplement drinks exist which are fruit juice/squash based??

My health visitor is out of her depth and says they cant help and our local dietician says their refferal list is closed due to too many cases.

I have got a paediatrician appointment on the 5th October but this is quite a time away yet.

Thanks for reading this,

Please help, I dont know what to do......? Cry

Parents
  • hi - does your daughter eat only these things regardless of where she is, such as home, school, other people's houses?  I ask because my son, who's always had a good appetite, had certain foods, especially dinners, that he'd eat at home. Later I found out he'd eat other things at school or in someone else's place.  Eventually it all joined up, eating-wise.  It's a good idea to get her general health checked out with your gp, just to be on the safe side.  If she's tired she needs to checked out for anaemia, if she's not getting enough vitB.  I think there may be some fruit-flavoured supplement drinks so it's definitely worth mentioning to see if you can give them a try.  I don't know if there's any advice on the nas site about the difficulties you're having but it would be worth checking, or even ringing nas up.  Good luck.

• hi - does your daughter eat only these things regardless of where she is, such as home, school, other people's houses?  I ask because my son, who's always had a good appetite, had certain foods, especially dinners, that he'd eat at home. Later I found out he'd eat other things at school or in someone else's place.  Eventually it all joined up, eating-wise.  It's a good idea to get her general health checked out with your gp, just to be on the safe side.  If she's tired she needs to checked out for anaemia, if she's not getting enough vitB.  I think there may be some fruit-flavoured supplement drinks so it's definitely worth mentioning to see if you can give them a try.  I don't know if there's any advice on the nas site about the difficulties you're having but it would be worth checking, or even ringing nas up.  Good luck.

Children
No Data