pharmacological therapy is a real help?

Hello everyone. I am the father of a 21-year-old autistic young man with medium-high functioning. Many of his peers take drugs mainly as mood stabilizers. I have many doubts about the advisability of administering these drugs to my son even if he sometimes shows strong stereotypies and prolonged echolalia. I would really like to know if there are many or few young autistic adults taking drugs and what you think about it.
Parents
  • Sleep is so important to wellbeing and it is frequently a problem for autistic people. I am very glad that here in the UK research funding has been granted to look at this issue. 

Regarding coping strategies I was interested to see that the Anna Freud website has 85 self care strategies for young people, suggested by young people.

Although not specifically designed for autistic young people some of these coping strategies look like they might be helpful (I am going to try some myself): https://www.annafreud.org/selfcare/

Your son's art is wonderful! I followed the link on your profile and saw some of his work. He has a real talent. I hope you will post some of his work on this forum, if he agrees, so that other people can enjoy it. 

• Thank you so much for the link to the annafreud website. I will examine it carefully.

And thanks a lot for the compliments to my son: he was very happy to know that someone in England has seen and appreciated his work and his commitment to the defense of the wolves and the environment. Thank you very much

• Thank you so much for the link to the annafreud website. I will examine it carefully.

And thanks a lot for the compliments to my son: he was very happy to know that someone in England has seen and appreciated his work and his commitment to the defense of the wolves and the environment. Thank you very much

Children
No Data