Sudden case of severe separation anxiety with 8 year old.

Hi, I’m new on here & am currently in the process of getting my 8 year old son diagnosed. It has been suggested he would fall into the Aspergers part of the spectrum.

Last week at school he felt sick in the afternoon & for some reason this has suddenly escalated into severe anxiety about going to school & leaving me. He was sent home from school the next day because he seemed to be having a panic attack. He went in the day after that but was very upset all day. On Friday morning he was hysterical & I couldn’t get him in uniform so he ended up staying at home. 

He has never loved school, he just goes along with it because he has to but this sudden anxiety has never happened before. No one is being mean to him, there seems to be no reason at all other than initially panicking he was going to be sick at school.

Just wondered if anyone else had delt with a similar, sudden  hit of anxiety like this & if there are any tips. As a result we are both feeling very nervous about Monday morning.

Thanks in advance.

• Thank you, I will have a chat with his teacher to see if there have been any changes that could of caused it. He hasn’t been affected by such things before but I guess as he grows he may find different things challenging. As soon as you think you’ve mastered one thing, something else pops up! 

• Hi My daughter is the same age and awaiting diagnosis, she suffers separation anxiety as well especially going in to school in the morning! We found me taking her into the class and having a chat with the teacher (even if it was about the weather) stopped her from having a meltdown as she was in essence not being left but handed over I know that sounds odd but it worked for her.

Has anything in class changed? This could be the slightest shift in routine like sitting somewhere different working with a different child change of activity or a topic in class he doesn't like it might seem something completely irrelevant to us but to them! It is enough to make them shut off and stay with the person they feel safe with.