Does my 20 month old daughter have autism?

My daughter is fascinated with lights, when we turn the lights on at night she walks about staring at them. If we go anywhere that has lights she keeps looking at them and doesn't pay attention where she is walking. We got her toys that has flashing lights and changes colour, she puts her face right on the lights and stares at them. We have also noticed that she is repetitive with her play time. She would turn her toys upside down and keeps spinning the wheels and stuff that spins. She also goes to all the cupboards and open and shuts them constantly. She has started to flap her arms sometimes and sometimes walks on her tip toes. I feel at times she just ignores me when I speak to her, most of the time she doesn't listen to me.

I'm just a bit worried as autism runs in both our families. On my side I have 4 nephews that have ADHD and one nephew is severely autistic. I myself have borderline personality disorder. On my partners side she has 2 brothers with ADHD and a sister with autism. We told the health visitor about our concerns and she just brushed it of and said that is expected behaviour in kids that age, this is our first child but do all kids act like this? She said it is to early to be diagnosed with autism, I think she said 3 years and upwards? she did say if my child is still showing symptoms at her 2 year assessment she will act on it.

So am I being over the top? Is my child acting normal?

Cheers 

Parents
  • UPDATE!!

For anyone who is intrested, we had an appointment today with speach and language. The health visiter sent a referral because my daughter gags and chokes on lumpy food, she cant eat solid food. She refuses to eat solid food. She eats the 7 months jars of baby food as it is soft and smooth. At this appointment we had to bring soft food and lumpy food as they needed to see what she would do. She asked loads of questions and we told her our conserns. She refused to eat the lumpy food. My 21 month old cant even feed herself. She can only say a few words and spins anything she can. The women got us to break a tiny bit (smaller than a pea) of baby crisps thingy that melts in your mouth. My partner puts it in her mouth with my daughter putting up a fight as she didnt want anything to do with the crisp. My daughter swallows the tiny piece of crisps and starts to choke, then she boked. Our concerns is that its sensory, she only likes the smooth food with no lumps. Anyways the lady is referring us to child developement and then she will most likely get statemented but cant until she is 3.

I dont know how im feeling now, I will always love my daughter but I noticed the signs at around 6 months and nows shes getting older it seems to be getting worse, more signs keep appearing, she is now started to lick everything. I just want her to have a normal life.

• Hi, be positive and trust your daughter’s potential. She is special and she will definitely get better. Please bring her to occupational therapist! Good luck!

Reply Children
No Data