Anxious about school gates

my child started school recently. She is obsessed with the electric school gates. I cant get her through them or to walk up the school drive. School are supportive but it takes them a long time to get her through too. Any suggestions on how to minimise these anxieties and reduce the time it takes? 

Parents
  • It might be a huge need to understand how they work - maybe you need to be on the other side of the gate with her, holding her hand, watching them open and close for lots of people and explain how it all works until she sees there's no mystery and it's not magic - it's just a 'thing'.Make it exciting for her.

I remember being young and fascinated/fixated by things I didn't understand and needing the world explaining. Things like the London undeground and the automatic doors on trains & platform gaps were a big thing.

I ended up as a chartered engineer - maybe she'll be a fantastic engineer in the future?

• It might be a huge need to understand how they work - maybe you need to be on the other side of the gate with her, holding her hand, watching them open and close for lots of people and explain how it all works until she sees there's no mystery and it's not magic - it's just a 'thing'.Make it exciting for her.

I remember being young and fascinated/fixated by things I didn't understand and needing the world explaining. Things like the London undeground and the automatic doors on trains & platform gaps were a big thing.

I ended up as a chartered engineer - maybe she'll be a fantastic engineer in the future?

Children
No Data