secure unit

Our son Aran was moved to a secure unit from a closed secure unit today. We had 20 minutes notice of this. We manged to get a lawyer to revoke our section 25 but it had been superseeded. He was violent i n the closed unit as he has ASD ADD and wanted to come home.  If he was a prisoner of war he would get medals for bravery but I do not condone violence. It showed me his spirit was unbroken. My husband and I have a family lawyer but because we did not know he was being moved today and found out only accidently by phoning the unit to talk to Aran- we were 50 minutes too late in revoking our section 25 and we could have taken Aran home. He is now locked away. We agreed to the close secure unit for assessment purposes only. We had no idea they would/could do this. We need a lawyer in Glasgow for our son. A hearing is on Tuesday. We have not even the paperwork to prepare. We are a loving family with no criminal background, in fact I was a SEN teacher and my husband is a professor at university. Our son has been transitioned without story boards, without us being allowed to encourage him,  without his consent or understanding. We need to hire a lawyer. Aran wants to come home and we want him home. We have no experience of the law and need to move fast on this. We have 3 other children who are devestated. Aran did not know the consequence of his violent behaviour. We were to take him home tomorrow and the last two days saw a peaceful interactive boy who came out of his bedroom. He had withdrawn himself into his room for most of the day. Staying in bed. A child in deep despair. We are in a crisis of a nightmare level. So any one that can help direct us to the best child lawyer in Scotland please

Parents
  • Hello All, it's been a while. What a journey we have been on. We got Aran home from January 2019. He was very traumatised. The progress with him has been slow and at times we thought he would never recover. He is still showing signs of trauma. Good News. In a rare achievement for Autistic children the Care Commission upheld all complaints against his placement. Aran was misplaced- stripped searched without our knowledge and consent at the age of 13. We only found this out when we got Aran home. The impact of Aran's journey nearly broke my mind. We have put in a complaint to S.W. for so many wrong doings. Once the jaws of the system have you, it takes unimaginable efforts to get free. Aran was so distressed being held away from home that he needed to stay for 2 weeks in a psychiatric paediatric hospital. There the affirmed ASD, stress and anxiety. Aran lost his ability to speak. Talking mats were used to understand him. Aran not long before was in the top groups of school- played sport, did hill walking and was described as popular at school. His descent was astounding. We are letting time do it's healing but he will never be his former self. At least not for a long time to come.

• im so happy you got your son home you are such strong parents and people to fight the system and get him home

its horrifying what hes been through and the injustices and barbaric treatments hes suffered

the system is so not educated about asd or built for it because if it was this would never of happened in the first place and he would never of been put through such hell

we went through similar my son has asd and his way of playing was roaring like a lion and playing rough with his younger brother and i went to social services for help as he never slept had no awareness of danger and was being bullied by adult neighbours as a scapegoat for any thing that happened on our council estate and he has sensory processing dysfuctions because of his autism too and as if the world and others is not hard enough for them to cope with .

The social services tried to blame this all on me said i was a bad mum and  said he was a danger to himself and others and tried to put him in a secure unit he was 11 years old and this was just before he was diagnosed .

We got the diagnois rushed through by the leading autism team at the local hosptial ,and it turned out that my son had autism and had had a nervous brakedown from the trauma from the abusive bullying adult neighbours and from the trauma the untrained services inflicted on him.

But we was lucky because of the asd social services becoming invovled the other untrained social services had to step back and away. so that the autism trained services could rescue him and support him and put him in a respite placement for a couple of weeks to get his trauma and distress levels a bit lower.where we could see him any time we wanted and the support workers where amazing to him .

We was lucky to have the backing from the hosptial the disability social worker and the asd communcation team boss with out this he would of been put in a secure lock up unit at 11.Just because the services who was demanding this was not trained in asd.

in the autism act we hope we get services to be trained in autism and have more awareness and give taliored support for autism to children and adults

and yet over 15 years later we are still seeing services in care facilitys and in local athuority services and gov services not trained in asd which then causes the neglect discrimanation against children and adults with asd

As the system trys to break our loved ones with asd to fit their system their rules and comforms

when instead the system needs to be trained and educated reg asd to fit our loved ones with asd

• My heart tear reading your story. How many times can our hearts as mothers endure. To have your 11 year old child so badly mismanaged- to blame you and I bet you got not an iota of an apology. Worse I bet your son didn't. I am in such pain for us both and our children. I feel we made progress for the other children through the Care Commission. But I know the system is so sloppy and change will not happen. Change where NO damage is inflicted. I am not even asking for progress, JUST no DAMAGE done to children or their families. Thank you so much for telling me your story. CS Lewis quote: "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."  

• My heart tear reading your story. How many times can our hearts as mothers endure. To have your 11 year old child so badly mismanaged- to blame you and I bet you got not an iota of an apology. Worse I bet your son didn't. I am in such pain for us both and our children. I feel we made progress for the other children through the Care Commission. But I know the system is so sloppy and change will not happen. Change where NO damage is inflicted. I am not even asking for progress, JUST no DAMAGE done to children or their families. Thank you so much for telling me your story. CS Lewis quote: "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."  

Children
No Data