Autistic son hurts others

My son is 8 and hurts other children. I’m not sure it is malicious but he will hit out, throw things, spit, bite or screech at others. 

I am at my wits end.  I just don’t know what to do. 

There seems to be no trigger.

today we were in the play centre and he was playing well.

Next thing he has hit a small child with a large soft block in the soft play area and then spat at another child. No trigger no reason. 

I cannot watch him every second of the day. I cannot predict when these things will happen

we talk and explain inappropriate behaviours. We reinforce positive behaviour and provide consequences for not good behaviours. 

He wasn’t distressed, it wasn’t too noisy, he was having fun. 

how do I stop this behaviour. He is loosing friendships, I can’t trust him to be alone with friends or sibling. 

I just don’t know what else to do. 

He has ASD and ADHD diagnosis.

Has anyone any advice please?

Parents
  • HiNAS38970 

I have a daughter who is 18now but when she was younger she had some troubles that sound similar to your sons. I'm pretty sure that his behaviour isn't malicious, just his response to being totally Heartverwhelmed and frightened and being unable to cope with his surroundings and his feelings. He probably does have triggers,  they will be further back from the incident, and will have mounted up overHeartthe time he has been at the play centre. You are absolutely right in explaining ,providing reinforcement and consequences ,but he will be unable to take in explanations or consequences when he is veHearty upset/overwhelmed. He needs to be taken out of the situation  and allowed to calm down by whatever methods he/you usually use to do this.More advice can be found on Autism Discussion Page on FacebHeartok. Bill Nason(page founder) is very skilled in helping kids with autism and parents/carers with just this kind of problem and explains things far better than I ever could. When my daughter was haviHeartg these problems found this site invaluable and a huge support for me. Don't despair! You will get through this time.It sounds like your'e doing all the right things,just need a wee bit more of the Heartight support. Hope this has helped, sending you much love.

SuperbethiosMum.

sorry about all the hearts! Haven't a clue what happened there!(technophobe)

• HiNAS38970 

I have a daughter who is 18now but when she was younger she had some troubles that sound similar to your sons. I'm pretty sure that his behaviour isn't malicious, just his response to being totally Heartverwhelmed and frightened and being unable to cope with his surroundings and his feelings. He probably does have triggers,  they will be further back from the incident, and will have mounted up overHeartthe time he has been at the play centre. You are absolutely right in explaining ,providing reinforcement and consequences ,but he will be unable to take in explanations or consequences when he is veHearty upset/overwhelmed. He needs to be taken out of the situation  and allowed to calm down by whatever methods he/you usually use to do this.More advice can be found on Autism Discussion Page on FacebHeartok. Bill Nason(page founder) is very skilled in helping kids with autism and parents/carers with just this kind of problem and explains things far better than I ever could. When my daughter was haviHeartg these problems found this site invaluable and a huge support for me. Don't despair! You will get through this time.It sounds like your'e doing all the right things,just need a wee bit more of the Heartight support. Hope this has helped, sending you much love.

SuperbethiosMum.

sorry about all the hearts! Haven't a clue what happened there!(technophobe)

Children
No Data