Autistic son hurts others

My son is 8 and hurts other children. I’m not sure it is malicious but he will hit out, throw things, spit, bite or screech at others. 

I am at my wits end.  I just don’t know what to do. 

There seems to be no trigger.

today we were in the play centre and he was playing well.

Next thing he has hit a small child with a large soft block in the soft play area and then spat at another child. No trigger no reason. 

I cannot watch him every second of the day. I cannot predict when these things will happen

we talk and explain inappropriate behaviours. We reinforce positive behaviour and provide consequences for not good behaviours. 

He wasn’t distressed, it wasn’t too noisy, he was having fun. 

how do I stop this behaviour. He is loosing friendships, I can’t trust him to be alone with friends or sibling. 

I just don’t know what else to do. 

He has ASD and ADHD diagnosis.

Has anyone any advice please?

Parents
  • I've heard a few case like that with a child with ADHD and autism. That's a common problem for autistic children who also has ADHD.  Well I would suggest to bring this up with his psychologist and maybe ask for a psychiatrist to provide medication. Don't worry, I heard lots of case like this with other children with ADHD and I have a few friends who is like that as well. so your son is not the only one to have this problem.

• I've heard a few case like that with a child with ADHD and autism. That's a common problem for autistic children who also has ADHD.  Well I would suggest to bring this up with his psychologist and maybe ask for a psychiatrist to provide medication. Don't worry, I heard lots of case like this with other children with ADHD and I have a few friends who is like that as well. so your son is not the only one to have this problem.

Children
No Data