4 year old son who autistic

Hi was wondering if anyone can help me my 5 year old soon has just been diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome and iv knew for a while he was autistic but I’m really struggling has he done way except a few cookies and crisps he don’t like slimy textures only hard textures but still won’t eat what can I do I have tried everything he’s even been in hospital over it I feel useless .. and he’s knows he very hungry but switches off as if it don’t bother him I’m so worried about him he’s on iron and vitamins can anyone help thanks for reading 

Parents
  • Veggie fussy-eater aspie here too! 

When I was a similar age I went through a long phase of only eating satsumas and I was fine in the end (if short, but considering the rest of my family I'm putting that down to mostly genetics). 

As said, not making a battle out of it is very important. You don't want him associating food with confrontation, it will just put him off further.

You've already worked out that texture is a massive issue for your son, I wonder if you could try baking different ingredients into a biscuit-like texture. It's a common thing; I had all sauces/chillies/stews/etc. blended smooth until I was in my late teens!

Another thing that helped me when I was young was actually assisting in cooking the food in the first place (even if I was so young that 'assisting' meant 'I put the bay leaf in the sauce'). My mum encouraged this since I was very small. 

I've actually grown up into quite a foodie. Love baking, live for curries. It just took a long time and baby steps. :) 

• Veggie fussy-eater aspie here too! 

When I was a similar age I went through a long phase of only eating satsumas and I was fine in the end (if short, but considering the rest of my family I'm putting that down to mostly genetics). 

As said, not making a battle out of it is very important. You don't want him associating food with confrontation, it will just put him off further.

You've already worked out that texture is a massive issue for your son, I wonder if you could try baking different ingredients into a biscuit-like texture. It's a common thing; I had all sauces/chillies/stews/etc. blended smooth until I was in my late teens!

Another thing that helped me when I was young was actually assisting in cooking the food in the first place (even if I was so young that 'assisting' meant 'I put the bay leaf in the sauce'). My mum encouraged this since I was very small. 

I've actually grown up into quite a foodie. Love baking, live for curries. It just took a long time and baby steps. :) 

Children
No Data