Please help !

Hi there, 

I'm looking for a bit of advice with our 5 year old boy recently diagnosed with ASD.

It's now getting to the point when we fear to take him out to the playground, softplay even supermarket as he runs at babies (and they are everywhere as you know) in the prams, carriers and either presses on their chest or tries to poke them in the eye! 

It's getting more and more upsetting /although I am always watching him and trying to block this unwanted behaviour/ to keep on apologizing daily and getting strange looks and comments from the parents...

We have tried explaining , social stories, even getting toy-babies but nothing seems to work...

Please help I am willing to try anything as staying at home all day can't be the answer ! 

Many thanks 

Parents
  • Hi bluebabyboymumBlush

I am a mum to a 4.5 year old boy who is autistic. He used to be drawn to younger kids and babies, wanted to talk and play with them but problem was he didn't know how. I realised he just didn't understand how it works. It's all simple to us but to him it was very confusing. He would go up very close and try touch kids faces or even pulled hair when any of young kids would play. What I decided to do was to approach every time with him and say hallo as he is often repeating things I do. And always repeated to him " gently" as he could get a bit too excited. This is only what I think and I don't know for sure but I believe more fun and excitement for my child he can get quite aggressive like push or hit or kick. He often laughs afterwards because he believes it's a game and he doesn't understand someone might be hurt. Now he's in school he interacts with a lit of kids and he learned when we see a baby we tickle their feet when a young child we wave and say hallo. Of course this routine has to be repeated on and on but I think now he grew out of it a bit. And I understand it is difficult for you because I used to go out with my boy and I just couldn't relax because I was afraid he could hurt another child. Hope it helps a bit

• Thanks Anna, very helpful thank you ! Eddie is now back at school with 1:1 support and doing really well.

He is kind to all the other (even small children ) so we are so relieved...

Thanks again x

• I'm so pleased for you and your boy Eddie. Good luck x

Reply Children
No Data