Chewing Wood

Hello, our 11yo Son has taken to chewing wood. Chairs, bannisters, his bed, TV unit, window sills, if it's wood it's likely to have his teeth marks. We don't even think he realises that he's doing it and we don't know what to do to help him stop. We've tried chew sticks and the like, but he doesn't like them. Any suggestions?

• Hi so sorry to read about this.

I have this as well thinks it's likely a sensory thing. A lot of autistic people chew and bite, this can be from anxiety or stimming. For me I think it's more stimming. I like to stim by chewing and biting. I do this with my hair, fingers, lips and unfortunately also on chair legs, my phone, hair brushes etc etc etc.

It can be damaging to teeth and has caused slight damage so my mum got me some chewelry which is specially made so it's safe to chew and bite. I have bracelets and necklaces chewelry which I wear every day, and have permission at school as they know it's something I need.

Might be worth getting some for your son. I've found it really helpful!

I didn't like chew sticks either! 

• It might redirect his sensory needs in a creative way and make the wood less appealing to chew. Just a thought – hope it helps!

• I’ve tried all these any advice am at ma wits end it’s really bad 

• Have you tried to get your son to try chewllery dummy’s or chew necklaces

• Greetings, one and all. This is a Link to what I think is likely the least-used part of the Official NAS Website about this sort of thing:

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/challenging-behaviour/pica.aspx

...The keyword here is PICA. Type that word into any Browser, to find information about it, as a "disorder". (I do also understand the Pen/Pencil chewing thing since I too often saw many Peers doing whilst I was at school, but seeing them do it deterred myself from doing it...!)

• I used to chew wood, plastic, leather, well you get it by now! I'd always have cuts in my mouth, split gums, chipped teeth from chewing stuff, and tooth grinding. I started to box in my early teens and I used to wear a gumshield. I enjoyed being able to bite down on it without hurting my mouth. I started wearing it at home when I felt the urge to chew, even at school sometimes. The bastards used to send me to the office sometimes though! Chew stationary, it goes on my daily report. Wear a gumshield, minding my own business, get sent to the office. I couldn't win that one!

Anyway a few years ago my tooth grinding and urge to chew got really bad again. I was chewing a big piece of cardboard and one of the tops of my teeth snapped. I got my dentist to make me up a see through gumshield that I could wear without anyone noticing. I'm a a grown man now but I really couldn't care. I like my gumshield.

You could try him with one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OPRO-Snap-Fit-Childrens-Mouthguard-Shield/dp/B01N0XFWLR/ref=sr_1_2/257-2308726-5829922?ie=UTF8&qid=1535499010&sr=8-2&keywords=childrens+gum+shields

Or have a word with your dentist if you like. I took to them as a kid and I didn't think I'd find as much use for them again but I have!