Chewing Wood

Hello, our 11yo Son has taken to chewing wood. Chairs, bannisters, his bed, TV unit, window sills, if it's wood it's likely to have his teeth marks. We don't even think he realises that he's doing it and we don't know what to do to help him stop. We've tried chew sticks and the like, but he doesn't like them. Any suggestions?

Parents
  • Hi so sorry to read about this.

I have this as well thinks it's likely a sensory thing. A lot of autistic people chew and bite, this can be from anxiety or stimming. For me I think it's more stimming. I like to stim by chewing and biting. I do this with my hair, fingers, lips and unfortunately also on chair legs, my phone, hair brushes etc etc etc.

It can be damaging to teeth and has caused slight damage so my mum got me some chewelry which is specially made so it's safe to chew and bite. I have bracelets and necklaces chewelry which I wear every day, and have permission at school as they know it's something I need.

Might be worth getting some for your son. I've found it really helpful!

I didn't like chew sticks either! 

• Hi so sorry to read about this.

I have this as well thinks it's likely a sensory thing. A lot of autistic people chew and bite, this can be from anxiety or stimming. For me I think it's more stimming. I like to stim by chewing and biting. I do this with my hair, fingers, lips and unfortunately also on chair legs, my phone, hair brushes etc etc etc.

It can be damaging to teeth and has caused slight damage so my mum got me some chewelry which is specially made so it's safe to chew and bite. I have bracelets and necklaces chewelry which I wear every day, and have permission at school as they know it's something I need.

Might be worth getting some for your son. I've found it really helpful!

I didn't like chew sticks either! 

Children
No Data