Seeking NT spouses/partners

Hello:

I've been in another forum trying to help my ASD hubby make connections in a last ditch effort to save myself & my family. It's last ditch after 26 years of marriage, struggling w/cancer & two special needs young adult daughters. I am however, tenacious & my hope is that hubby will accept the support & suggestions of those in the ASD forum to enable our family to survive. I've been alone for all of those 26 years & need the voices of others w/experience of long term relationships w/a highly ASD affected other half. There is no forum for NT spouses so I've come here. Will those of you in similar positions please introduce yourselves, perhaps just to share your struggle, perhaps to share how you survive day after day? 

Parents
  • Dear TT

May I politely suggest that you and your partner seek professional relationship counselling rather than seeking guidance on the NAS forum. 

I for one am neither a trained counsellor, marriage guidance operative and am self proclaimed as being rubbish at relationships. 

Personally, (as I can only speak for myself), I find the situation uncomfortable with both parties on the forum, unable to give support which causes me some distress but sincerely wish the both of you the best going forward and urge you both to try and be the best humans you can be. 

Ellie x 

• Thank you Elephantintheroom:

I do hope there are others in NT/ASD relationships in the forum able to provide words of support or wisdom & hope to hear from them. As you must know, there is little to no on-the-ground therapeutic support for ASD/NT couples. Nor have I asked for such intervention in this forum. I'm sorry that you are uncomfortable having a married couple here but for the life of me don't understand why that would exclude me from seeking communication w/others in similar relationships. My spouse is successfully seeking guidance in the ASD forum & I am seeking it here. As you also must know, ASD/NT relationship issues are not solved or helped by simply urging those involved to be "the best humans" they can be. We are. Frankly, i am hurt by this reception & hope others come forward. I didn't expect to be rubbished, rejected or invalidated here.

• Thank you Elephantintheroom:

I do hope there are others in NT/ASD relationships in the forum able to provide words of support or wisdom & hope to hear from them. As you must know, there is little to no on-the-ground therapeutic support for ASD/NT couples. Nor have I asked for such intervention in this forum. I'm sorry that you are uncomfortable having a married couple here but for the life of me don't understand why that would exclude me from seeking communication w/others in similar relationships. My spouse is successfully seeking guidance in the ASD forum & I am seeking it here. As you also must know, ASD/NT relationship issues are not solved or helped by simply urging those involved to be "the best humans" they can be. We are. Frankly, i am hurt by this reception & hope others come forward. I didn't expect to be rubbished, rejected or invalidated here.

Children
No Data