Supporting autism in mainstream primary

Hello! 

Im a primary school teacher looking for ideas/tips on how best to support an autistic child that will in my p6 class after the holidays. 

Ive met him a few times (I’m new to the school but been teaching for 15 years) and he struggles with the academic side of school but has got some friendships within the class. He has told me repeatedly that he has low self esteem and confidence. The school are keen to limit his laptop time as it causes a meltdown when he has to come off it. 

I will have some support but looking for ideas/tips that he can do when he’s finished a piece of work and I’m teaching another group. 

The previous teacher told me that it is either 1:1 with him and ignore the others or ignore him and teach the rest but impossible to do both. 

Any help/tips would e gratefully received! Thanks! 

Parents
  • Hello,

First I think the the previous teacher clearly does not have the best interest of the child. She should at least given you ideas which she has tried & failed so you will not repeat the same ideas (if they don't work).  IF she even tried any at all. I would suggest you make an attempt to see what kind of things this child likes to work with. Speak with his parents to see if they have any ideas. My son likes to work on his own sometimes and will get more done then with distractions.  I had one teacher tell me she observed him and found little things to help him. He likes books so if he is really stressed he can take himself to a corner to read or write. Draw pictures about a subject they may be studying. I think you need to be positive and ignoring a child is not an option. You may have to ignore a behavior for a short time but then he needs to be redirected.  It is very difficult to deal with a large class and one child who needs your attention but maybe the school can help with this.  For my son a walk around the school and just being outside can help him calm down a bit to at least have a conversation or move him in a direction of some sort of positive work.   You need to stay positive even when you are at your wits end. Try to remember  as difficult as this will be for you, it is probably at least twice what you are feeling for him.  Try to take cues  from him, see how he acts to you.  You may have to let him be at the beginning to let him know you are not his enemy but try to let him know you are there for him.  I'm just tossing out ideas as they pop in my head.  I wish you the best of luck.  Please be patient with him. This is a hard time for everyone. 

• Hello,

First I think the the previous teacher clearly does not have the best interest of the child. She should at least given you ideas which she has tried & failed so you will not repeat the same ideas (if they don't work).  IF she even tried any at all. I would suggest you make an attempt to see what kind of things this child likes to work with. Speak with his parents to see if they have any ideas. My son likes to work on his own sometimes and will get more done then with distractions.  I had one teacher tell me she observed him and found little things to help him. He likes books so if he is really stressed he can take himself to a corner to read or write. Draw pictures about a subject they may be studying. I think you need to be positive and ignoring a child is not an option. You may have to ignore a behavior for a short time but then he needs to be redirected.  It is very difficult to deal with a large class and one child who needs your attention but maybe the school can help with this.  For my son a walk around the school and just being outside can help him calm down a bit to at least have a conversation or move him in a direction of some sort of positive work.   You need to stay positive even when you are at your wits end. Try to remember  as difficult as this will be for you, it is probably at least twice what you are feeling for him.  Try to take cues  from him, see how he acts to you.  You may have to let him be at the beginning to let him know you are not his enemy but try to let him know you are there for him.  I'm just tossing out ideas as they pop in my head.  I wish you the best of luck.  Please be patient with him. This is a hard time for everyone. 

Children
No Data