boy year 5, recently diagnosed with Aspergers, won't take tests

Hi All

First foray into forums!  My son has aspergers, anxiety issues and low self esteem.  He wont take tests, or use pen or paper so his ability level is not clear.  Trying for an EHCP.  Seem to need to prove he is 2 or 3 years behind where he should be.  But how do I know since he wont do tests?  confused and concerned

Parents
  • Hi. When you say tests, do you mean school tests? My son been through exactly the same with refusing to take tests and eventually all written work. Not sure if you have yet had an assessment by an educational psychologist as a good ed Psych should still find a way round to assess where he is at versus his actual age on listening comprehension, word reading etc, just may take a few attempts to get some of this (first attempt in our case was point blank refusal to do it).

Are you applying yourself for the EHCP? The proof that the local authority will want to look for is that he is failing to progress despite intervention/support, you don't have to prove a certain gap in time. As much info that you can chuck at this is helpful so if he is at school, ask them for documentation of what has been tried and outcomes. Finally if you haven't already speak to the independent SEND Support organisation in your area...this should be listed on the Local Offer on your local authority. I found this really helpful but wish I had called them earlier in the process as it's great to get sound advice and reassurance on how this process is supposed to work. Great for when you are confused. Hang on in there.

• Hi. When you say tests, do you mean school tests? My son been through exactly the same with refusing to take tests and eventually all written work. Not sure if you have yet had an assessment by an educational psychologist as a good ed Psych should still find a way round to assess where he is at versus his actual age on listening comprehension, word reading etc, just may take a few attempts to get some of this (first attempt in our case was point blank refusal to do it).

Are you applying yourself for the EHCP? The proof that the local authority will want to look for is that he is failing to progress despite intervention/support, you don't have to prove a certain gap in time. As much info that you can chuck at this is helpful so if he is at school, ask them for documentation of what has been tried and outcomes. Finally if you haven't already speak to the independent SEND Support organisation in your area...this should be listed on the Local Offer on your local authority. I found this really helpful but wish I had called them earlier in the process as it's great to get sound advice and reassurance on how this process is supposed to work. Great for when you are confused. Hang on in there.

Children
No Data