intelligence

does anyone else feel this because i feel like out of anyone i know that i'm the dumbest and that i can never be as smart as everyone else and that i won't be able to get a good career because of this. i just feel like my IQ doesn't measure up to others.

Parents
  • I feel that I am smart and intelligent but the others out there don't see it... and I haven't been given the right opportunities to prove it.

I do not know how to apply it.

• I started off well academically but around the age of 9  went into  a tailspin. From subsequent research I've done it's obvious I had learning difficulties. The trouble being at the time, early 60s to mid 70s, such things were hardly seen as affecting those of above average intelligence. Of course there was the odd comment here and there such as- bad at drawing  and writing, maths especially geometry,disorganised and messy  but no one bothered to or was able to join the dots together and say "This boy needs help and support" .

As for social skills-you were just expected to be good at interacting with your fellow pupils. From the start at public school I got bullied. My local vicar wrote to my house master about it . He said some boys are the type to be bullied as though that justified it.

• I started off well academically but around the age of 9  went into  a tailspin. From subsequent research I've done it's obvious I had learning difficulties. The trouble being at the time, early 60s to mid 70s, such things were hardly seen as affecting those of above average intelligence. Of course there was the odd comment here and there such as- bad at drawing  and writing, maths especially geometry,disorganised and messy  but no one bothered to or was able to join the dots together and say "This boy needs help and support" .

As for social skills-you were just expected to be good at interacting with your fellow pupils. From the start at public school I got bullied. My local vicar wrote to my house master about it . He said some boys are the type to be bullied as though that justified it.

Children
  • Wow did I write that badly .Should have said "My house master said" instead of "He said". Apologies for the confusion.

• My local vicar wrote to my house master about it . He said some boys are the type to be bullied as though that justified it.

Something to bear in mind is that the posh public schools like Eton and Repton are C of E.

A home educating parent I used to know told me about her life in a C of E secondary school and how church officials seemed to have no problems with bullying by students or injustices dished out by staff and prefects. They definitely favoured a Darwinistic social hierarchy and a might is right environment. She wondered if such attitudes had their origins centuries ago following the Protestant reformation as a result of ideologies of Calvin or even Luther himself.

• ...I think that we’ve all had at adapt and survive to pull through... and that shows real grit, determination alongside higher abilities... however it does have its frustrations and a legacy of being unsupported and slightly bruised