Having aspergers and children

hi, 

so ive just been diagnosed with Aspergers, and it's put a lot in perspective about my future. Children aren't really on my mind and never have been tbh and I'm still to young to think about such things (24) 

However it has had me question if I should consider having a child?

my first question is do I put my child at risk or having a higher chance of being on the autistic spectrum ? I no my life has been very difficult being on the spectrum even as a high functioning aspie. I'm insure if it would be fair to knowingly do that to my child especially as they could have a more severe case of autism ? 

Secondly, as an aspie parent could I cope with having a child and the challengers and disruption they bring?

would just like perspective from aspie parents, aspies who have opted out of children and neurotypical parents with children on the spectrum.

Parents
  • Thank you both for getting in touch with me and your views on the subject. 

I have been reading through some of the posts on people with children on the spectrum to get an understanding of the struggles.

for me on the spectrum I was very compliant in order to fit in and so I went under the radar untill teen years when it all became a horrible nightmare and I feel I don't view the benefits of being on the spectrum for myself personally. It's hard for me to know if I would even be a good parent as I've always lacked that maternal instinct anyway. 

I know however with yourself misfit I don't no if I would cope well with the what if , if I didn't have children. Especially as my child could well be a neurptypical as my parent is. Although then a neurptypical child may bring about other difficulties with me being on the spectrum.

8ita defninatly food for thought and a hard decision at that. 

• Thank you both for getting in touch with me and your views on the subject. 

I have been reading through some of the posts on people with children on the spectrum to get an understanding of the struggles.

for me on the spectrum I was very compliant in order to fit in and so I went under the radar untill teen years when it all became a horrible nightmare and I feel I don't view the benefits of being on the spectrum for myself personally. It's hard for me to know if I would even be a good parent as I've always lacked that maternal instinct anyway. 

I know however with yourself misfit I don't no if I would cope well with the what if , if I didn't have children. Especially as my child could well be a neurptypical as my parent is. Although then a neurptypical child may bring about other difficulties with me being on the spectrum.

8ita defninatly food for thought and a hard decision at that. 

Children
No Data