Having aspergers and children

hi, 

so ive just been diagnosed with Aspergers, and it's put a lot in perspective about my future. Children aren't really on my mind and never have been tbh and I'm still to young to think about such things (24) 

However it has had me question if I should consider having a child?

my first question is do I put my child at risk or having a higher chance of being on the autistic spectrum ? I no my life has been very difficult being on the spectrum even as a high functioning aspie. I'm insure if it would be fair to knowingly do that to my child especially as they could have a more severe case of autism ? 

Secondly, as an aspie parent could I cope with having a child and the challengers and disruption they bring?

would just like perspective from aspie parents, aspies who have opted out of children and neurotypical parents with children on the spectrum.

Parents
  • Hello. Unfortunately, children don't come with instructions and being a parent is like jumping in the deep sometimes. It is good that you are thinking ahead of your role as a potential parent and taking into account all the possible pros and cons. I know we cannot change our genes and they will be inhered by our children but think about typical parenting situations and your response to them, will you be ready to overcome any possible problems. You will not be alone as a parent, so think about these things together with your partner. Wishing you all the best! :)

• Hello. Unfortunately, children don't come with instructions and being a parent is like jumping in the deep sometimes. It is good that you are thinking ahead of your role as a potential parent and taking into account all the possible pros and cons. I know we cannot change our genes and they will be inhered by our children but think about typical parenting situations and your response to them, will you be ready to overcome any possible problems. You will not be alone as a parent, so think about these things together with your partner. Wishing you all the best! :)

Children
No Data