Cinema

Hi, everyone

I've recently seen the new film about the artist Vincent Van Gogh. I thought it was amazing, the fact that each frame was hand painted in oil colour. 

For those who don't know about the story, They based the story on a murder mystery genre. Set one year after his sad passing away. The main character was given a letter for Vincent's Father, Which leads him on a journey through the places and people he meets based on Vincert's Oil paintings in his lifetime.

If anyone has watched any film recently, I would be interested to hear

http://lovingvincent.com/

Parents
  • Hi Zatanna,

I adored Loving Vincent, which I  watched on the night that it was premiered at the National Gallery and broadcast to cinemas around the country. After the film there was a discussion with 2 of the actors, the producer and one of the artists. The film took over 5 years to make. The actors were filmed and then each frame (12 frames per second) was hand painted in the style of Van Gogh. The artist said she spent about 6 months painting for which amounted to 30 seconds of the film!

I find watching the so-called art house and foreign language films a very uplifting experience. Usually there are only about 20 people at these, but Loving Vincent was full. I attend alone and am usually not bothered by anyone.

Some other good films I've seen this year are Manchester by the Sea (beautiful scenes and acting), A Quiet Passion (about the poet Emily Dickenson) and A Man Called Ove (from Finland about an old man whose life turns bad when his son dies in an accident, but the film has a tremendously happy/moving ending! - I think this film is being remade in the US with Tom Hanks.

• Hi Zatanna,

I adored Loving Vincent, which I  watched on the night that it was premiered at the National Gallery and broadcast to cinemas around the country. After the film there was a discussion with 2 of the actors, the producer and one of the artists. The film took over 5 years to make. The actors were filmed and then each frame (12 frames per second) was hand painted in the style of Van Gogh. The artist said she spent about 6 months painting for which amounted to 30 seconds of the film!

I find watching the so-called art house and foreign language films a very uplifting experience. Usually there are only about 20 people at these, but Loving Vincent was full. I attend alone and am usually not bothered by anyone.

Some other good films I've seen this year are Manchester by the Sea (beautiful scenes and acting), A Quiet Passion (about the poet Emily Dickenson) and A Man Called Ove (from Finland about an old man whose life turns bad when his son dies in an accident, but the film has a tremendously happy/moving ending! - I think this film is being remade in the US with Tom Hanks.

Children
  • I saw the Q&A discussion too that was very interesting! I can't remember if I've been in the National Gallery, but I've been in the two Tate museums. I have to visit sometime, the virtual tour looks good on their website.

I'd like to see more of the art house/ foreign language films. I'd like to see the films you've recommend. Where do you watch these type of films?