Aphantasia

I wonder how many here are aphantasic.  

" We were not too surprised by a second association: a small proportion of participants have described a diagnosis of autistic spectrum disorder (asd). Alterations in the ability to imagine have long been regarded as a key feature of asd, and visualisation is a key ingredient of imagination (though not an indispensable one, as we will see).  "

https://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/exeterblog/blog/2016/11/08/aphantasia-10000-people-make-contact-over-visual-imagery/

medicine.exeter.ac.uk/.../

Parents
  • Wow, this is an interesting post! I didn't know what this was until I read your post. I'm a musician, writer and actor, but I don't find thinking in images natural for me. I'm much more physical. I mainly write, compose and perform best when I'm in the moment and not thinking about it mentally. If I try to create images in my mind, it's a real struggle to maintain them and the effort required is exhausting and counter-productive. I'm okay with single objects, words or simple phrases, but not with whole images of places, memories etc. 

• Wow, this is an interesting post! I didn't know what this was until I read your post. I'm a musician, writer and actor, but I don't find thinking in images natural for me. I'm much more physical. I mainly write, compose and perform best when I'm in the moment and not thinking about it mentally. If I try to create images in my mind, it's a real struggle to maintain them and the effort required is exhausting and counter-productive. I'm okay with single objects, words or simple phrases, but not with whole images of places, memories etc. 

Children
No Data