"Innocent" or "Childish" Pursuits

What so called "childish" or innocent pursuits does anyone have?

Myself, I like blowing bubbles.  I always have a pot of them in the car, and often take them out when I go on a walk and sit down and blow them and watch them float gently over the landscape or historic site.  I do find it very therapeutic and suppose it is a sort of stimming although it is usually done when I am calm, although sometimes I must say when I have had a difficult few minutes I get the urge to blow them. 

I also love watching old children's television programmes from when I was young.  Catweazel, the Gerry Anderson puppet series (Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds and even Four Feather Falls), Follyfoot (I fell in love with Dora as a teenager!).

And I am never far from my recorder.  Although I stopped being taught at the age of 11, I carried on with playing it and even though my music reading is below very basic I can pick out a tune and change the key to suit very easily. 

So does anyone else have these sort of so called childish pursuits and what are they?

Parents
  • I remember the credits of Ready Steady Go in the sixties with Cathy McGowan and I think that made me realise that there is no shame in doing such things. 

I am fascinated by their colours, the fact that they form spheres that seemingly float and then without warning they can just vanish to nothing.  Something that was once there is gone forever, although another one can be created it is different to the original.  I also think those 'bubble machines' take a lot of the fun out of it, the actual blowing is part of the creative process, not getting some machine to do it for you.  And a small pot of bubbles can be carried in the pocket ready for action at any time!

I think it great to walk through puddles.  I don't very often wear wellies out except perhaps in snow, but I don't let that put me off!  My footwear of choice is clogs (english clogs that is with a leather upper and wooden soles.  They are very resilient to wet and mud, just need a good clean afterwards and I take pride in clieaning them but not worrying about getting them dirty.  Muddy fields or canal towpaths, they all present a challenge and a bit of fun!

Another childish quirk I have - I can't bear to eat chocolate that is moulded into cute animals or the like.  I have a 'Snowman' shaped chocolate which I have had for a few years and several bunnies.  Eventually they get broken and have to be thrown away, but eating them would be like some form of cannibalism!

• I agree I was bought some chocolate teddy bears a number of years ago, and still got them uneaten, and complete, they look too good to eat, same with cake art, I couldn't cut into such an art as I feel I'm destroying someones hard work!!

Reply Children
No Data