"Innocent" or "Childish" Pursuits

What so called "childish" or innocent pursuits does anyone have?

Myself, I like blowing bubbles.  I always have a pot of them in the car, and often take them out when I go on a walk and sit down and blow them and watch them float gently over the landscape or historic site.  I do find it very therapeutic and suppose it is a sort of stimming although it is usually done when I am calm, although sometimes I must say when I have had a difficult few minutes I get the urge to blow them. 

I also love watching old children's television programmes from when I was young.  Catweazel, the Gerry Anderson puppet series (Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds and even Four Feather Falls), Follyfoot (I fell in love with Dora as a teenager!).

And I am never far from my recorder.  Although I stopped being taught at the age of 11, I carried on with playing it and even though my music reading is below very basic I can pick out a tune and change the key to suit very easily. 

So does anyone else have these sort of so called childish pursuits and what are they?

Parents
  • I am a little late coming to the table here but wanted to share my childish quirk. Firstly though, I totally agree with comments made here about social norms and being left alone. I too have a strong interest in Buddishm and can see autism has evolutiionary benefits. The sixth sense  thing is something that is linked to this idea too. What little experience I have had with autistic people in life, I have found a feeling of mutual understanding which I have lacked amongst neurotypicals. This is one of the reasons I am seeking diagnosis. 

Anyway back to topic. One of the ways I like to unwind is walking in the rain. I love long country walks by myself in wet and muddy conditions. And as long as there is not anyone around puddle jumping is a must. Or walking through mud. I think it's a sensory thing. The smell of the rain, the noise of water, squelch of  mud, the freshness of the air and the sillyness of it is what makes it enjoyable. It's somehow relaxing. In contrast I hate walking in summer when it's too hot and bright. Just curious anyone else enjoy this? 

I think most neurotypical people dismiss and deny themselves these sort of activities, such as bubble blowing as mentioned in the start of this thread, as they see it as childish. However, the benefits of acting younger and doing activities like this have been proven to help de-stress people. I think there is too much stigma associated with it. For example I have been out walking I have seen people carefully balance around mud and puddles despite wearing wellies. I find this amusing. You have manged to put on the appropriate footwear but then you do this. Why? Reading this thread and thinking about this makes me wonder if the world needs people to be a little less embarassed with innocent activities. After all, you only have to look at how popular those colouring books now are as a form of relaxation. A few years ago if you said at the office, what are you doing tonight? and someone said, I'm off home to do some colouring in, that person might have been up for ridicule. Now it is acceptable!

Any thoughts on this?

• I am a little late coming to the table here but wanted to share my childish quirk. Firstly though, I totally agree with comments made here about social norms and being left alone. I too have a strong interest in Buddishm and can see autism has evolutiionary benefits. The sixth sense  thing is something that is linked to this idea too. What little experience I have had with autistic people in life, I have found a feeling of mutual understanding which I have lacked amongst neurotypicals. This is one of the reasons I am seeking diagnosis. 

Anyway back to topic. One of the ways I like to unwind is walking in the rain. I love long country walks by myself in wet and muddy conditions. And as long as there is not anyone around puddle jumping is a must. Or walking through mud. I think it's a sensory thing. The smell of the rain, the noise of water, squelch of  mud, the freshness of the air and the sillyness of it is what makes it enjoyable. It's somehow relaxing. In contrast I hate walking in summer when it's too hot and bright. Just curious anyone else enjoy this? 

I think most neurotypical people dismiss and deny themselves these sort of activities, such as bubble blowing as mentioned in the start of this thread, as they see it as childish. However, the benefits of acting younger and doing activities like this have been proven to help de-stress people. I think there is too much stigma associated with it. For example I have been out walking I have seen people carefully balance around mud and puddles despite wearing wellies. I find this amusing. You have manged to put on the appropriate footwear but then you do this. Why? Reading this thread and thinking about this makes me wonder if the world needs people to be a little less embarassed with innocent activities. After all, you only have to look at how popular those colouring books now are as a form of relaxation. A few years ago if you said at the office, what are you doing tonight? and someone said, I'm off home to do some colouring in, that person might have been up for ridicule. Now it is acceptable!

Any thoughts on this?

Children
No Data