Finding a job

I've recently had all my benefits stopped and have been told I have to find a job. I haven't had a job in over 10 years and even just thinking about it makes me feel sick and anxious. I can't even bring myself to look at a job search website, let alone go to the job centre, go to interviews or......go to work!! What am I supposed to do? I have no money coming in at all now. I could in theory apply for job seekers allowance but I know I'd be kicked off of it almost straight away because I wouldn't be able to apply for all the jobs they tell me too. I'm feeling abandoned by the system and completely without help. Almost feel like I'm being punished for having ASD :(

Parents
  • Hi graham22,

From your opening post it appears to me that at the very least your levels of anxiety are a difficulty in finding suitable work. You need to get this recognised independently from your ASD. Do you know in your medical records there is mention of your problems with anxiety ?

If not, I would recommend seeing your GP and explaining to them how your anxiety is affecting you. You ASD may not be recognised by DWP as a reason for not working, but other medical conditions you have in combination with ASD as a whole will at least strengthen your case.

You are being failed by the system, personally I think the reason for this is widespread abuse of the benefits system which has been going on for decades but has become more widespread and got out of control. The government has made a stand against the abuse by tightening up the system, but has not protected or acted fairly for the genuine people who need help and clearly should receive help. I am just mentioning this because it resonates with your feelings you expressed in your opening post, your feeling are genuine.

I think organisations like The Shaw Trust and Citizens Advice would be good to reach out to get some assistant or advice. Mind is another organisation to consider.

Random

• Hi graham22,

From your opening post it appears to me that at the very least your levels of anxiety are a difficulty in finding suitable work. You need to get this recognised independently from your ASD. Do you know in your medical records there is mention of your problems with anxiety ?

If not, I would recommend seeing your GP and explaining to them how your anxiety is affecting you. You ASD may not be recognised by DWP as a reason for not working, but other medical conditions you have in combination with ASD as a whole will at least strengthen your case.

You are being failed by the system, personally I think the reason for this is widespread abuse of the benefits system which has been going on for decades but has become more widespread and got out of control. The government has made a stand against the abuse by tightening up the system, but has not protected or acted fairly for the genuine people who need help and clearly should receive help. I am just mentioning this because it resonates with your feelings you expressed in your opening post, your feeling are genuine.

I think organisations like The Shaw Trust and Citizens Advice would be good to reach out to get some assistant or advice. Mind is another organisation to consider.

Random

Children
No Data