Biomedical Treatment for Autism

Hello

We have just been given £2000 funding from Caudwell for Biomedical treatment for our 2 year old son with autism.  We are not sure whether it would be best to go to the Autism Clinic in Hampton, or the Breakspear Clinic in Milton Keynes.  They both look interesting.

Does anyone have experience of either or both of these, who could offer any thoughts about them?

Thank you.
Parents
  • I have just been reading through this...

icpa4kids.org/.../what-is-biomedical-treatment.html

...My first thought was "...Thimerosal is not in the routine vaccinations given to children in the UK, including MMR, and yet there are still children with Autism being born each year."  

(And no, I do NOT believe there is a link between the MMR vaccination and Autism.  I believe in the opposite, that there is NO link whatsoever.)

In my opinion, it sounds like snake oil salesmen medical treatment, rather than tried and tested, peer-reviewed, evidence-based medical and psychological interventions of international renown.  

Secondly, nobody really know the cause or causes of Autism.  It has not been proven conclusively that environmental contaminants cause Autism. Therefore, so called biomedical treatment is applying a treatment to a disease for which there is no established cause.  

Notice the article I quote says "...Biomedical intervention for NDs is based on the belief that the psychological symptoms of NDs are a product of the physical issues the child is experiencing..."

The significant word here is "...belief...", not medically proven, evidence based, peer-reviewed, or internationally recognised, etc.  Belief in something does not equate to conclusive proof!  How can one believe in a treatment when the cause has not been conclusively established?

My own hunch is that Autism is caused by faulty genes and genetics passed down through blood relations.  (One of my uncles had autism, two other uncles battled with depression and alcoholism, and one of my grandmothers had depression.)

• I have just been reading through this...

icpa4kids.org/.../what-is-biomedical-treatment.html

...My first thought was "...Thimerosal is not in the routine vaccinations given to children in the UK, including MMR, and yet there are still children with Autism being born each year."  

(And no, I do NOT believe there is a link between the MMR vaccination and Autism.  I believe in the opposite, that there is NO link whatsoever.)

In my opinion, it sounds like snake oil salesmen medical treatment, rather than tried and tested, peer-reviewed, evidence-based medical and psychological interventions of international renown.  

Secondly, nobody really know the cause or causes of Autism.  It has not been proven conclusively that environmental contaminants cause Autism. Therefore, so called biomedical treatment is applying a treatment to a disease for which there is no established cause.  

Notice the article I quote says "...Biomedical intervention for NDs is based on the belief that the psychological symptoms of NDs are a product of the physical issues the child is experiencing..."

The significant word here is "...belief...", not medically proven, evidence based, peer-reviewed, or internationally recognised, etc.  Belief in something does not equate to conclusive proof!  How can one believe in a treatment when the cause has not been conclusively established?

My own hunch is that Autism is caused by faulty genes and genetics passed down through blood relations.  (One of my uncles had autism, two other uncles battled with depression and alcoholism, and one of my grandmothers had depression.)

Children
No Data