Verbal Instruction

I recently experienced something I thought was interesting, and thought it may be worth relaying here.  A bit of background information first - I am currently awaiting a Full Assessment for ASD, and one of the things I have always had problems with is understanding verbal instruction.

A few days ago, I was speaking to somebody at my car insurance company, who was giving me information about my car policy, and I was finding it very hard to take in the facts and figures.  I explained to the man in the call centre that I was having problems taking in the information, and thought he might not understand what I meant by that, so then told him with a bit of hesitation "basically I'm mildly autistic".  He'd been quite helpful before I mentioned autism, but then he asked if I would like him to read out the key points of the policy so I could write them down, which I said would be very helpful indeed.  He explained the various details, giving me time to write them down, so I could understand and process them, and respond appropriately.  It was such a good experience for me to speak to somebody in this way, and after the call I felt very positive about having understood the information much more clearly.  As I sometimes have trouble speaking in the "wrong" places in phone conversations too, I found the space that he gave me in the conversation was less stressful.

However, I must admit to feeling a bit uneasy about claiming I was "mildly autistic", not because I don't feel comfortable thinking of myself in this way - diagnosis would in fact be a comfort - but because I was claiming to be something that (at the moment at least) I'm not.  Also, I've heard it said that "there's nothing mild about Autism" - because ASD means so many different things to so many on the spectrum.

If I felt overloaded with information on a phone call again, which is common for me, I'd be tempted to mention autism again, because it helped me to get sense and the relevant details from the call.

I guess what I'm asking here is should I feel at ease doing this again?  I suppose it comes down to me wanting to be honest (I've been told many times that I am!).

I'd be interested to know what others think.  After my realisation that I may have ASD recently, I'm now in that difficult middle ground until I get my Full Assessment.

Parents
  • I had a similar experience recently. I was forced into a 'phone call (I normaly use e-mail) and explained straight away that I might have difficulties. The girl I spoke with couldn't have been more helpful, once she understood, which she did very quickly. I have to admit that I was astonished, but very very grateful. Turned out she has an AS relative.

Contrast that with a recent contact with my Local Authority. I've raised a serious request for assistance, and nothing is happening, no contact, no help, nothing.

Everything Longman says is within my experience too. The sheer amount of assumptions and associated prejudices that any mention of 'difficulties' provoke is hateful to me because it is common to most NTs and anathema to me. I include colleagues who I've publicly humiliated for doing the same thing - it's considered to be part of my 'challenging' behaviour, although when I challenged someone for their use of the word n*****r I was considered to be a righteous champion of the black cause. I'm not, I'm just a practising egalitarian.

You deserve to be uncomfortable, using terms like 'mild'. Shame on you, LMFAO! Seriously, it's annoying but true that sometimes, we have to use their language, but that's partly our fault for not creating our own. Whatever it takes to get you through, man...

I reiterate Longman's caution to be careful where and how you disclose, although I generaly support the exploitation of any opportunity to get the message out there. That said, thank you for sharing such a positive experience with us, sorry you're in that exquisitely tense limbo pending your diagnosis, it's the worst possible time for you we know, and may you have the comfort you need, soon. It doesn't sound to me as if you're making insupportible claims, apart from in the literal sense, and I include my observations of your other posts in saying so.

• I had a similar experience recently. I was forced into a 'phone call (I normaly use e-mail) and explained straight away that I might have difficulties. The girl I spoke with couldn't have been more helpful, once she understood, which she did very quickly. I have to admit that I was astonished, but very very grateful. Turned out she has an AS relative.

Contrast that with a recent contact with my Local Authority. I've raised a serious request for assistance, and nothing is happening, no contact, no help, nothing.

Everything Longman says is within my experience too. The sheer amount of assumptions and associated prejudices that any mention of 'difficulties' provoke is hateful to me because it is common to most NTs and anathema to me. I include colleagues who I've publicly humiliated for doing the same thing - it's considered to be part of my 'challenging' behaviour, although when I challenged someone for their use of the word n*****r I was considered to be a righteous champion of the black cause. I'm not, I'm just a practising egalitarian.

You deserve to be uncomfortable, using terms like 'mild'. Shame on you, LMFAO! Seriously, it's annoying but true that sometimes, we have to use their language, but that's partly our fault for not creating our own. Whatever it takes to get you through, man...

I reiterate Longman's caution to be careful where and how you disclose, although I generaly support the exploitation of any opportunity to get the message out there. That said, thank you for sharing such a positive experience with us, sorry you're in that exquisitely tense limbo pending your diagnosis, it's the worst possible time for you we know, and may you have the comfort you need, soon. It doesn't sound to me as if you're making insupportible claims, apart from in the literal sense, and I include my observations of your other posts in saying so.

Children
No Data