Had the most God awful day today

Can't quite get my head around the advice I was given today.

My son has Autism, wants to work, but no one will employ him because of his ASD and SEVERE DYSLEXIA. Can't work without significant support, which we are endeavoring to provide him ourselves because ATW have no clue about Autism and say they can't help him. 

Yet Citizens advice advised that he should give up self-employed supported work; with a note from his GP to say he's not able to work unsupported, because DWP have messed up our notification of 'change of circumstance'!!!!!!!!!

Their is absolutely no way I'm asking my son to give up his 'Reason for living and only opportunity to contribute to society', just to appease the DWP!

What do these people want???????

Branded scroungers and lazy if you claim 'unfit for work' and advised to give up work if you have the desire, but no independent help or support; beyond your own family.

I've also been advise to attend court by CAB. When i tried to explain to CAB that as a carer of two on the spectrum, I have enough to contend with without having to go to court, he said he had no clue about ASD, but I should attend anyway!!!!! Really???????

How is this equality for those with disabilities??????

So B----y angry!!!!!

Sorry for the rant, but i'm at the end of my tether.......Teenager sobbing inconsolably and disillusioned with a world filled with ignorance. The other in tears over an accident he's had. A disaster of a day

Is this really the message we want our youth to embrace?

Guess we are off to court to contest this. What a waste of money and a demoralizing time all round. Haven't people with ASD got enough to contend with????

God what a dreadful day.:(

Parents
  • Hi Coogy,

Just wanted to update you to let you know I won at our Tribunal! I found it  a challenging experience, but I must say the panel were firm but fair. I arrived at the court early  which gave me time to 'soak in the atmosphere'. I had to deliver my evidence without support from CAB (that's another story!) but I actually felt more in control that way and clarified the situation 'warts and all'. I came away feeling mixed emotions but mostly of anger that I'd had to spend precious time preparing (like for an exam)- however the experience has given me the confidence to keep fighting! 

Hope you are doing ok.x

• Hi Coogy,

Just wanted to update you to let you know I won at our Tribunal! I found it  a challenging experience, but I must say the panel were firm but fair. I arrived at the court early  which gave me time to 'soak in the atmosphere'. I had to deliver my evidence without support from CAB (that's another story!) but I actually felt more in control that way and clarified the situation 'warts and all'. I came away feeling mixed emotions but mostly of anger that I'd had to spend precious time preparing (like for an exam)- however the experience has given me the confidence to keep fighting! 

Hope you are doing ok.x

Children
No Data