Does he know?

Hi all :)

You may have seen a topic i prerviously posted very recently about my boys. Im a mom of 3. I have got  my one boy through alot of the process to the point they have said its Autism and ADHD but it hasnt been put on paper as yet as hes yet to see a phsycotherapist and my other son hasnt even got to first screening yet. This in mind, I have so many questions, so please forgive me as no matter what i read it seems so vague. My main question being if this is the case, does my nearly 6 year old son know? is he aware of his autism and ADHD? If not when do they become aware of it? do you tell them or do you not say anything at all ( i wouldnt until it was on paper anyway). Also my one son has alot of hitting, bitting to others and himself, he uses baby talk and grunts, these things sometimes make me wonder is all this behaviour completely his condition OR is some of it just an average nearly 6 year olds behaviour? Im very confused. I know alot of the things he does isnt that of someone his age but say like when hes boundary pushing is that the nearly six year old or is it part of the condition or both? the reason i ask this as im so worried about time out if its something that cant be helped, in fact should i be time outing anyway?  Im in a place where im questioning everything he does (not to him like i just think is this his way of saying i cant cope or is it him just being a head strong nearly 6 year old?) , im questioning everything we do like should i time out if his behaviour is unacceptable (but then it might not be his fault and so i dont want him to feel misunderstood). I often wonder if he knows as im scared that he might feel alone or isolated and i really dont want that. I mean he seems happy enough until hes in one of his outbursts but i am a worrier and the thought of them feeling misunderstood for even a second turns my stomach. If theres anyone out there with autism / ADHD or both a point of view and advice from you would be greatly appreciated as i just want to understand and do the best for my boys. My boys havent changed overnight and i would like to think that i know them every inch of the way however if theres anything i can do to understand the way they see the world then that can only benefit them surely? thank you for reading my post, and thank you in advance to anyone that can contribute, it means alot. Best Wishes, Lisa :)

Parents
  • I tend to rub it between my finger and thumb so when the teacher gets my attention and I pretend to be listening to what has already been put up on the board (staring at said teacher and nodding occasionally) the blu tak has had time to harden, meaning I get stuck xD

Another thing I'm obsessed with is price, I don't understand the point in other girls going out and buying tons of clothes they'll never wear more than 3 times in a year. Mum loves it because she can literally take me out once a year and buy me something like 5 of my dragon t-shirts or some decent trousers that last for at least another year. ^^ I literally feel scared if I see a price tag on a white t-shirt saying £20 when I can get one from Primark for £3.50. Its pretty good for making me monitor my money, hence why I can save up enough to buy a laptop or buy my own sweets and diet coke (diet coke, big need, wouldn't survive school without it). It also stops me bringing home dvd's. Normal girls get clothes, I bring home dvd's or cheap shiny pretty silver things. :) Yeah I'm a real magpie in the shinies department.

I like assigning animal behaviours to people, because animals are easy to understand. Happy, sad, hungry, angry, scared. Sometimes when I have to sit in the common room I'll watch the other kids and do a David Attenborough commentary.

"And here come the well dressed chav's, chattering excitedly amoung themselves as the troup leader breaks off to address the leader of a neighbouring troup. The two exchange wary pleasentries whilst the others continue to talk amoung themselves, eventually flocking to the array of cheap furniture to perch and chatter for a further ten minutes until the males enter. Making loud comments and exaggerating their movements, these males attempt to show off their strength by wrestling with their opponents, loud excited jabbers from onlookers encouraging the two males engaged in combat. Eventually, one male surrenders, fleeing behind one of the many tables whilst the now superior male attempts to chase the other from his territory."

Its a nice way to distract myself from all the yelling and screaming the other kids do too.

I think the most confusing saying I've ever encounted is this, "Its like trying to teach a granny to suck eggs."

..... who sucks eggs? And why is it a nan?

Apparently this means its pointless trying to teach someone something they already know how to do, but I still get confused. My favourite saying is my mums, 'They're as useful as a chocolate teapot'. Only problem is I then get all munchy and go after chocolate. xD

• I tend to rub it between my finger and thumb so when the teacher gets my attention and I pretend to be listening to what has already been put up on the board (staring at said teacher and nodding occasionally) the blu tak has had time to harden, meaning I get stuck xD

Another thing I'm obsessed with is price, I don't understand the point in other girls going out and buying tons of clothes they'll never wear more than 3 times in a year. Mum loves it because she can literally take me out once a year and buy me something like 5 of my dragon t-shirts or some decent trousers that last for at least another year. ^^ I literally feel scared if I see a price tag on a white t-shirt saying £20 when I can get one from Primark for £3.50. Its pretty good for making me monitor my money, hence why I can save up enough to buy a laptop or buy my own sweets and diet coke (diet coke, big need, wouldn't survive school without it). It also stops me bringing home dvd's. Normal girls get clothes, I bring home dvd's or cheap shiny pretty silver things. :) Yeah I'm a real magpie in the shinies department.

I like assigning animal behaviours to people, because animals are easy to understand. Happy, sad, hungry, angry, scared. Sometimes when I have to sit in the common room I'll watch the other kids and do a David Attenborough commentary.

"And here come the well dressed chav's, chattering excitedly amoung themselves as the troup leader breaks off to address the leader of a neighbouring troup. The two exchange wary pleasentries whilst the others continue to talk amoung themselves, eventually flocking to the array of cheap furniture to perch and chatter for a further ten minutes until the males enter. Making loud comments and exaggerating their movements, these males attempt to show off their strength by wrestling with their opponents, loud excited jabbers from onlookers encouraging the two males engaged in combat. Eventually, one male surrenders, fleeing behind one of the many tables whilst the now superior male attempts to chase the other from his territory."

Its a nice way to distract myself from all the yelling and screaming the other kids do too.

I think the most confusing saying I've ever encounted is this, "Its like trying to teach a granny to suck eggs."

..... who sucks eggs? And why is it a nan?

Apparently this means its pointless trying to teach someone something they already know how to do, but I still get confused. My favourite saying is my mums, 'They're as useful as a chocolate teapot'. Only problem is I then get all munchy and go after chocolate. xD

Children
No Data