Dating sites

I've been feeling kinda lonely romantically lately a few months after coming out of an abusive relationship and don't really want to/am no good at "dating" the way NT people do it. The solution, naturally, seems to be dating sites. The trouble is, there are thousands of these sites around and I'm having trouble filtering the good ones from the bad ones, and especially finding sites that may be a bit more accommodating to a fairly shy bloke with Aspergers. Has anyone on here got any success stories from dating sites? If so, which site(s) did you use and how long did it take to find lurrrrrve?

Parents
  • All: I'm new on this site and I've only just begun. I've been on a couple of dating websites myself, and I found it extremely disappointing. I was always under the impression that you should 'be yourself'. However; if I am myself, I end up writing far more in the introduction than I'm sure I'm meant to. The trouble is, I have a habit of writing a lot because I always feel that the more you write the more you may attract someone with similar interests. Unfortunately, this didn't work to my favour. I am aware of this, and yet, I would rather be myself than portray myself as someone I'm not. 

I did get a couple of people writing to me, one was commenting on the fact that I answered every question with a description. She lives in India, and I knew nothing would come of it, but I wrote to her for a while, things went well, and it was interesting writing to her. However; in the end, we slipped out of contact.

The other person who wrote to me barely wrote a few words, and it was so awkward writing to her as both the fact that she was hardly responding to practically any of my questions, and she was clearly writing on a mobile phone. Now, there is a big difference between writing on a phone and computer, and they would normally expect me to write much less than I do, but it's not easy for me to cut down on my writing. We exchanged mobile phone numbers, purely for the intention of sending text messages and not to call her up as I would never be able to cope with that, especially so early in communication. We texted each other a few times, but again, we just started to slip out of contact until eventually I sent a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year message in 2013, and I received no reply.

These are just two examples of what I experienced and the failure that I ended up with. The only person I ever wrote to for longer than a month was the girl from India. Whenever I write to someone I get practically no responses and those that I do only write to me once, and that's it.

Laddo: I also discovered a lot of expensive dating websites and I completely steered clear of them.

I also wish you all the luck I can muster in hoping that you are successful at creating a website for people with ASD that is both free and promotes equality. I would be very interest when you do. When you do, please come back and tell us all. You'd have my full support, Smile.

• All: I'm new on this site and I've only just begun. I've been on a couple of dating websites myself, and I found it extremely disappointing. I was always under the impression that you should 'be yourself'. However; if I am myself, I end up writing far more in the introduction than I'm sure I'm meant to. The trouble is, I have a habit of writing a lot because I always feel that the more you write the more you may attract someone with similar interests. Unfortunately, this didn't work to my favour. I am aware of this, and yet, I would rather be myself than portray myself as someone I'm not. 

I did get a couple of people writing to me, one was commenting on the fact that I answered every question with a description. She lives in India, and I knew nothing would come of it, but I wrote to her for a while, things went well, and it was interesting writing to her. However; in the end, we slipped out of contact.

The other person who wrote to me barely wrote a few words, and it was so awkward writing to her as both the fact that she was hardly responding to practically any of my questions, and she was clearly writing on a mobile phone. Now, there is a big difference between writing on a phone and computer, and they would normally expect me to write much less than I do, but it's not easy for me to cut down on my writing. We exchanged mobile phone numbers, purely for the intention of sending text messages and not to call her up as I would never be able to cope with that, especially so early in communication. We texted each other a few times, but again, we just started to slip out of contact until eventually I sent a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year message in 2013, and I received no reply.

These are just two examples of what I experienced and the failure that I ended up with. The only person I ever wrote to for longer than a month was the girl from India. Whenever I write to someone I get practically no responses and those that I do only write to me once, and that's it.

Laddo: I also discovered a lot of expensive dating websites and I completely steered clear of them.

I also wish you all the luck I can muster in hoping that you are successful at creating a website for people with ASD that is both free and promotes equality. I would be very interest when you do. When you do, please come back and tell us all. You'd have my full support, Smile.

Children
No Data