Social stories-hugging

Hello. I have a 4 year old little boy with autism. One of his main issues are social cues. He seems to think whenever anyone leaves the house (even if it's someone he's just met) that they must have a cuddle and a kiss! He gets all panicky just as someone's about to leave and says "I need to give you a cuddle and a kiss"... He also specifies he wants to do this outside!

any ideas on how to help with this?

Social story?

Hope someone can help because it can be embarrassing, just not sure how to help him.

• WowSmile, so pleased for all of you!

• Hello Crystal12.

thank you for your advice. I have taught my son to hand shake with people he doesn't really know instead of hugging and he seems quite happy with this. So thank you very much.

hairspray

• Hi, he's probably picked this up from home + now applies it as a total rule?  This is now what must absolutely happen to make things right.  Social stories could work.  Is he able to differentiate between close family members/friends + those who are not?  If he isn't + he's only 4 + autistic, so it's quite poss he isn't ,then keep whatever you do simple.   When my son was little we were a single parent family - just me + him.  He didn't speak till he was 5.  However he was + still is practical.  If we had been in your position I wd have tried to do the kiss/cuddle thing illustrating it only with family members such as parents/siblings + for everyone else a wave and shaking hands.  I know the hand shaking may seem unusual these days but if he is expecting some sort of physical contact then it might work instead of cuddles etc.  You know him, I don't. I can understand you feeling embarrassed but on the scale of embarrassments there are ones that are far worse.  People are more likely to indulge him cos he's still little so you do have time on your side Smile.  There may be info via the home pg + the posts which will be useful to you