Travel assistance for my autistic child to school

Hi Everyone,

My name is Rachel, I am new to community forums. I could really use some help & advice on how to settle my 4 year old son into his routine with travel assistance journey to school. I plan on taking him to school myself for the first few weeks for him to get settled with the staff there etc. The travel assistance company has agreed for the driver and the ride along to meet my son, so he has seen their faces but i dont believe this will be enough for my son to go into the car with them without me.

The company will not allow me to get into the car with him as there will be other kids in the car, so this isnt an option to get him comfortable with them (theres 2 form of travel assistance one is the local borough school bus & the other is private license taxi drivers that have a specific license allowing them to have this contract with local authorities to take kids to school).

Has anyone gone through this? How did you get your child to be comfortable and not cry or get upset when going to & from school in travel assistance without you?

Parents
  • How did you get your child to be comfortable and not cry or get upset when going to & from school in travel assistance without you?

Most of those I know got to know the other kids they would be travelling with and used them as their own support network, that way the change would all be shared and they could be prepped with games like trying to spot a pink car or similar.

In some aspects it may be better to have all the change in one go rather than a series of changes leading to the end result which will only change at the end of term anyway. The learning that change can be a good thing rather than something to be afraid of is a great skill to teach the child.

• How did you get your child to be comfortable and not cry or get upset when going to & from school in travel assistance without you?

Most of those I know got to know the other kids they would be travelling with and used them as their own support network, that way the change would all be shared and they could be prepped with games like trying to spot a pink car or similar.

In some aspects it may be better to have all the change in one go rather than a series of changes leading to the end result which will only change at the end of term anyway. The learning that change can be a good thing rather than something to be afraid of is a great skill to teach the child.

Children
No Data