Covering heads and hair

Covering ones head and or hair has been something humans have done for a very long time and seems to be about much more than warmth. I remember my Mum always weraing a headscarf, Princess Anne style, when I was a child, my Nan would never go out without a hat, I remember watching her fiddling about with her hat pins, and being convinced that she had had holes in the back of her head to stick the pins in and was wiggling the pins about trying to find them.

In medieval times people rarely went out with thier heads uncovered, loose hair was a sign of being unmarried and hair ups were something you did when married.

People still get in dreadful flaps about things like hijabs, let alone veils and covered faces, and yet this has been one of the longest commonly observed customs in human history accross cultures and countries.

Do you alwways wear a hat or head covering? What sort and why?

I'm always hatless, I'd like to be on better terms with hats, I actually look quite good in hats, but my hair disagrees, I'm sure it has invisible arms that reach up and push off any head covering. Me and my boss used to go to a large dept store of a lunch time to play with the hats as we both found it stress busting.

Parents
  • I want to insert something that isn't often thought about or spoken out loud. But the N-Typical Fetishisation and ownership of Women. It's part of the allure of Control in BDSM. It's an exhausted topic in psychoanalytic and philosophical discourse which has been going on for at least a good 150 years or so (since women have been allowed a voice in Western culture, at least).

While I love a wooly hat just as much as anyone, being forced to wear a thing at threat of being discarded from society in a cruel way would mean I wouldn't get to choose wool over polyester (plastic-threaded-fabric) or cashmere over thick scratchy wool. 

• I want to insert something that isn't often thought about or spoken out loud. But the N-Typical Fetishisation and ownership of Women. It's part of the allure of Control in BDSM. It's an exhausted topic in psychoanalytic and philosophical discourse which has been going on for at least a good 150 years or so (since women have been allowed a voice in Western culture, at least).

While I love a wooly hat just as much as anyone, being forced to wear a thing at threat of being discarded from society in a cruel way would mean I wouldn't get to choose wool over polyester (plastic-threaded-fabric) or cashmere over thick scratchy wool. 

Children
No Data