Covering heads and hair

Covering ones head and or hair has been something humans have done for a very long time and seems to be about much more than warmth. I remember my Mum always weraing a headscarf, Princess Anne style, when I was a child, my Nan would never go out without a hat, I remember watching her fiddling about with her hat pins, and being convinced that she had had holes in the back of her head to stick the pins in and was wiggling the pins about trying to find them.

In medieval times people rarely went out with thier heads uncovered, loose hair was a sign of being unmarried and hair ups were something you did when married.

People still get in dreadful flaps about things like hijabs, let alone veils and covered faces, and yet this has been one of the longest commonly observed customs in human history accross cultures and countries.

Do you alwways wear a hat or head covering? What sort and why?

I'm always hatless, I'd like to be on better terms with hats, I actually look quite good in hats, but my hair disagrees, I'm sure it has invisible arms that reach up and push off any head covering. Me and my boss used to go to a large dept store of a lunch time to play with the hats as we both found it stress busting.

Parents
  • I wear hats more often now for practical reasons.

I have a hairline that is progressively escaping me so I will wear a flat cap, baseball cap or beanie depending on time of year.

My sisters and Mum often wear head scarves for practicality or fashion, it's also common head wear amongst women in Kenya, particularly in the countryside villages and towns.

A lot of Kenyan men and women will wear hats/head scarves as a mark of respect when going to church in Kenya or attending important family/social functions.

• I wear hats more often now for practical reasons.

I have a hairline that is progressively escaping me so I will wear a flat cap, baseball cap or beanie depending on time of year.

My sisters and Mum often wear head scarves for practicality or fashion, it's also common head wear amongst women in Kenya, particularly in the countryside villages and towns.

A lot of Kenyan men and women will wear hats/head scarves as a mark of respect when going to church in Kenya or attending important family/social functions.

Children
No Data