Roleplaying Games May Help Autistic People

'Gotta love the title of this paper: “A critical hit: Dungeons and Dragons as a buff for autistic people“. Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) is a tabletop roleplaying game where a small group of people each play characters adventuring in an imaginary world run by the dungeon master (DM). (That explanation was probably not necessary for the majority of readers here, but just to be thorough.) The game has just celebrated its 50th anniversary, which was even commemorated by official US stamps.'

theness.com/.../

Parents
  • Not the same thing, I know, but I always find that playing RPG type immersive console games helps massively with my mental health. Having a safe environment where I can work on low-stakes puzzles gives me peace and helps me work on real life challenges, such as giving myself grace to make mistakes, because hey, if I can take ten tries to beat the big boss in-game but still keep coming at it, then maybe I can take another run at whatever I feel I've failed at this week. Or something.

• Not the same thing, I know, but I always find that playing RPG type immersive console games helps massively with my mental health. Having a safe environment where I can work on low-stakes puzzles gives me peace and helps me work on real life challenges, such as giving myself grace to make mistakes, because hey, if I can take ten tries to beat the big boss in-game but still keep coming at it, then maybe I can take another run at whatever I feel I've failed at this week. Or something.

Children
No Data