What do you think about the idea that autistic people should have our own state

I am curious because there is an actual (online) movement for this which I am a part of and I am interested in your opinions

Parents
  • I guess I do have my own state (of mind), I can escape there whenever I want.

State, as in physical location? I don't think it would be the utopia you imagine, due to the variation in the autistic population.

I don't think exclusion, voluntary or selective, is ever a good thing. A community flourishes when it accepts the diversity and variety of skills and people and thoughts and creativity of everyone. Eugenics hasn't worked well in the past, let's learn from that.

• I don't think it would be the utopia you imagine, due to the variation in the autistic population.

It certainly wouldn't be a utopia, I just think it would be more ideal than the current situation. Of course, it would be a difficult task, but I think it would be worthwhile if the movement was strong enough.

I don't think exclusion, voluntary or selective, is ever a good thing.

The state would likely be in uninhabited territory, either that or it would be in a territory where the people who live there remain there and consent to being in an autistic society - for example, I have seen the Pitcairn Islands as a proposed location for the nation. I do believe that some level of self-exclusion if it betters our lives is a good thing.

A community flourishes when it accepts the diversity and variety of skills and people and thoughts and creativity of everyone.

I would imagine an autistic community would do that, considering its natural diversity.

Eugenics hasn't worked well in the past, let's learn from that.

Eugenics is directly contrary to our movement. Eugenics wants to eliminate us out of a false sense of superiority, we want to not be eliminated and live as our natural selves rather than being forced to conform to a society that hasn't accepted us in the past and isn't in the present.

• I don't think it would be the utopia you imagine, due to the variation in the autistic population.

It certainly wouldn't be a utopia, I just think it would be more ideal than the current situation. Of course, it would be a difficult task, but I think it would be worthwhile if the movement was strong enough.

I don't think exclusion, voluntary or selective, is ever a good thing.

The state would likely be in uninhabited territory, either that or it would be in a territory where the people who live there remain there and consent to being in an autistic society - for example, I have seen the Pitcairn Islands as a proposed location for the nation. I do believe that some level of self-exclusion if it betters our lives is a good thing.

A community flourishes when it accepts the diversity and variety of skills and people and thoughts and creativity of everyone.

I would imagine an autistic community would do that, considering its natural diversity.

Eugenics hasn't worked well in the past, let's learn from that.

Eugenics is directly contrary to our movement. Eugenics wants to eliminate us out of a false sense of superiority, we want to not be eliminated and live as our natural selves rather than being forced to conform to a society that hasn't accepted us in the past and isn't in the present.

Children
No Data