Olypics Pah

I'm fed up with olympics already an they've not even started yet, nothing but sport on telly, all news will be olympic news, I can't wait for autumn and some proper telly. I even wondered what would happen if there were a big terrorist attack and the whole thing had to be cancelled?

I dont' like sport or competition, competitive people scare me, for me theres no such thing as good adreniline so why would I want to get it pumping. Why should I care if someone wins something or not? We get fed the lie that they're doing it for all of us, I think are they really indeed? I think I'd rather have the extra money off my shopping rather than have sports sponsership. I never asked them to do it, nobody asked me if I minded the amount of money that goes into it, the cruelty and even worse I get called a kill joy. Well have they ever thought that not all of us are flag waving sheeple, content to enjoy the spectacle whilst the world goes to hell in a bathtub?

Parents
  • Scenario A: I outscore Y 750-720

Scenario B: Y outscores me 820- 760, but 760 is better than my previous best. Maybe I'm just weird, but for me scenario B pleases me more than scenario A.

Edited to clear up any confusion.

• I don't understand what you mean in your scenario's?

Is competition healthy? I'm not sure it is, I'm probably the least competitive person around, I really don't understand it, I've tried too and it just seems to me to be a cause of ill health and unhappiness. All the stuff about losing and winning and 'its the taking part that matters', is just total carp, if you lose at something you're very much made to feel like a second class citizen, winners are expected to crow their victories to the rest of the world and have the rest of the world bow down before them. The 'its the taking part that matters' crowd just try and mop up the harm caused by the former two, because it's obvious that taking part mattering is so as the winner has someone to feel superior too.

When I was at school I decided not to play these sort of competitive games, I got trouble for not being good enough and making people "lose", gangs waiting outside the school gates for me, type of trouble. So I decided to be myself and not partake at all, it got me a different kind of trouble but one that was prefferable to gangs waiting outside the school gates.

The olympics might only be every four years, but I dont' care, I still feel invaded, and the world cup is only every four years, somehow all these sporting events take up the whole summer and those of us who enjoy gentler pursuits like gardening are marginalised even more. Even Newsnight last night was infested with olympics.

I don't see it as a polarized thing of sport or war, that to me is ridiculous, if people want to run about and get sweaty and horrible then fine, but do they have to show off about it on a world stage?

• I don't understand what you mean in your scenario's?

To lose but do better than I've done before is a greater achievement , for me, than winning against someone and not doing so.

• The advantages of the streaming services is the lack of adverts but then you pay every month for the service so it isn't really that cheap in the long run.

The cheapest plans for Disney+, Netflix, and NOW include adverts.

Amazon Prime Video and Amazon Freevee include ads.

Apple TV+ already has ads (about other shows) before programs and they're rumoured to be looking at introducing more advertising.

• Other things I enjoyed such as Vikings

I would recommend The Last Kingdom - a good intersection of the viking history with English history:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4179452

Shogun is on Disney+ streaming service (most of the newer good stuff is commissioned by these services as they have the money to do it now).

The advantages of the streaming services is the lack of adverts but then you pay every month for the service so it isn't really that cheap in the long run.

A decent internet connection is needed too but you can always choose to watch the episodes/films offline and let it download it in the background so the connection isn't an issue.

I don't watch too much "non weird" stuff so not sure what else to recommend.

• Other things I enjoyed such as Vikings

I would recommend The Last Kingdom - a good intersection of the viking history with English history:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4179452

Shogun is on Disney+ streaming service (most of the newer good stuff is commissioned by these services as they have the money to do it now).

The advantages of the streaming services is the lack of adverts but then you pay every month for the service so it isn't really that cheap in the long run.

A decent internet connection is needed too but you can always choose to watch the episodes/films offline and let it download it in the background so the connection isn't an issue.

I don't watch too much "non weird" stuff so not sure what else to recommend.

Children
No Data