The Famous Five (:

Hi,

This may seem like a really random post - sorry! 

I find it comforting to read books multiple times (especially ones from my childhood) before bed. At the moment I am rereading the famous five collection and now that I am older I can see the stories in a new light. 

My main question is has anyone else noticed that George (and her father) appear to have many autistic traits? I may be just imaging it as I am half way through being diagnosed with autism myself and I have read a lot up about it recently. 

Anyway, thanks for reading my first post!

Lilia  

Parents
  • Hi Lilia, I've read those books in my childhood too. Now I don't read much at all. I don't remember in enough detail about the books to comment, but I did used to read them all the time! George was always my favourite. :-D

• George was always my favourite

If the story were set in a contemporary setting, George would most likely be transgender:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Famous_Five

She often gets cross when anyone calls her by her birth name or makes fun of Timmy [her dog], and she loves it when somebody calls her George or mistakes her for a boy.

In Five Get into a Fix, old Mrs Janes mistakes her for a boy: even though Julian had told her that she was a girl, she later forgets this.

George sometimes takes this to the point of asking that her name be prefixed with Master instead of Miss.

• George was always my favourite

If the story were set in a contemporary setting, George would most likely be transgender:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Famous_Five

She often gets cross when anyone calls her by her birth name or makes fun of Timmy [her dog], and she loves it when somebody calls her George or mistakes her for a boy.

In Five Get into a Fix, old Mrs Janes mistakes her for a boy: even though Julian had told her that she was a girl, she later forgets this.

George sometimes takes this to the point of asking that her name be prefixed with Master instead of Miss.

Children
No Data