Anew government

Well that was a thumping majority, but I think a wide but shallow one. Reform did less well that exit polls predicted, for which I'm glad, but they have quite a high vote share. THe LibDems had a brilliant night.

A nice collection of Tory scalps for new MP's, Rees Mogg and Truss amoung them.

I stayed up until 3am and then had to go to bed, so I didn't see the big scalps taken, I'm tired today though.

It dosen't feel all unicorns and rainbow, frollicking fauns, and splashing mermaids, but I'm glad we've got some change, but it's a poisoned chalice for Starmer and gang, this country has so many problems in need of fixing. But I hope we have a stable government and not all this continual chopping and changing of PM and other ministers, I think part of the problems have been caused by so many reshuffles, ministers don't have time to get on top of their brief before they're moved on. That means any policy objectives they had are discarded by the successor, so nothing gets done and the rot sets deeper.

Parents
  • I've always voted on the governing principles of the parties involved ie what they stand for, what matters to them, who or what they care for.

This is a good analysis of that.

https://juristopedia.com/blog/labour-party-vs-conservative-party/

Just think about the basis of these parties ie aristocracy v working class.

When the Tory party was founded working class people and women didn't even have a vote and it was many years later that they did and the Labour party was formed.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2018/02/07/the-forgotten-victory-votes-for-working-class-men/

I'm from a working class background, care very much about the disenfranchised and care about society as whole.

So, for me, there has never been any doubt which party aligns with my own values and which party will be of greater benefit to those members of society who most need support.

When people say dismissively 'they are all the same' - 'nothing will change' they are simply wrong.

It wasn't the Tories who initiated the creation of the NHS and the welfare state but Labour and the Liberals.

Egalitarianism v elitism.

Still.

After all these years.

• I think their life experiences help to understand others too. If you have lived a life where at some time you have struggled, particularly financially, I think it makes it easier to help others who find it hard. I think this is not only true in politics but also if you are doing a job where you communicate with people who find things hard.

• I think their life experiences help to understand others too. If you have lived a life where at some time you have struggled, particularly financially, I think it makes it easier to help others who find it hard. I think this is not only true in politics but also if you are doing a job where you communicate with people who find things hard.

Children
No Data