Anew government

Well that was a thumping majority, but I think a wide but shallow one. Reform did less well that exit polls predicted, for which I'm glad, but they have quite a high vote share. THe LibDems had a brilliant night.

A nice collection of Tory scalps for new MP's, Rees Mogg and Truss amoung them.

I stayed up until 3am and then had to go to bed, so I didn't see the big scalps taken, I'm tired today though.

It dosen't feel all unicorns and rainbow, frollicking fauns, and splashing mermaids, but I'm glad we've got some change, but it's a poisoned chalice for Starmer and gang, this country has so many problems in need of fixing. But I hope we have a stable government and not all this continual chopping and changing of PM and other ministers, I think part of the problems have been caused by so many reshuffles, ministers don't have time to get on top of their brief before they're moved on. That means any policy objectives they had are discarded by the successor, so nothing gets done and the rot sets deeper.

Parents
  • This morning I saw who won and found it difficult to take and a felt bit out of depth with the world. I had to rest for a while to try and take it in. It was kind of easy for me to go with who we had because of familiarity I guess, whether we needed a change or not. I liked the Blair government, a few things Starmar has done and said hasn't warmed me to him as much. I am unsure what changes to expect and coming up and that I find a bit worrying. We can't do anything about it though.  I was glad to see my local MP kept his seat though.

• I know that for many autistic people change is scary, but it's not always bad, I find Starmer a bit of a stuffed shirt, but I never liked Blair, he was too smarmy for my taste and after the sexed up Iraq dossier and dragging us into an illegal war in Iraq I felt my feelings about him justified. I think Starmer may just be a bit boring, but is that such a bad thing? I think someone a bit boring who just gets his head down and gets on with it preferable to Sunak and Co fighting like rats in a sack and not doing the job they're there to do.

I was glad to see our MP lost her seat although only narrowly, many saw her as a good MP, someone who did a lot for the island, which she did, all the wrong things in my opinion. I can't say I'm delighted with the new one, previous head of the council.

What I do find surprising is the increase in LibDem seats, I think they will be ones to watch in the future, especially if/when the Tory party tears itself apart over thier direction of travel and who will lead them. I could see a situation where the Tory votes gets more split between LibDem and Reform.

Another thing to think about was how low the turnout was around 40% of people didn't vote, me included, as I couldn't find anyone worth endorsing. I think it will be different next time around though, whether Labour do well or not over the coming years, I could well see a situation where things become more polarised or Labour take a larger vote share.

• Good to read it might be ok. I don't really like seeing the way so many long term Labour ministers lost their seats. People like Diane Abbott who we all know was a bit of character was pretty much left begging for a seat. She had served Labour for decades and seemed quite vulnerable. There were several more like Coryn. It sits a bit uncomfortably with me with the ease it was all done. There was a number I saw on the TV, I couldn't keep up with all in the end.  I preferred the way Boris used to stand by his ministers.

• Boris Johnson’s main priority was always Boris Johnson. 
    I don’t believe you have anything to fear from a Starmer government - he’s cautious, pragmatic, sensible and not particularly passionate in his political beliefs. I think he’ll just try to ‘run things efficiently’ rather than make any dramatic changes. 

I feel confident that he’ll run a tight ship, and that they’ll at least be competent. 

• Boris Johnson’s main priority was always Boris Johnson. 
    I don’t believe you have anything to fear from a Starmer government - he’s cautious, pragmatic, sensible and not particularly passionate in his political beliefs. I think he’ll just try to ‘run things efficiently’ rather than make any dramatic changes. 

I feel confident that he’ll run a tight ship, and that they’ll at least be competent. 

Children
No Data