Anew government

Well that was a thumping majority, but I think a wide but shallow one. Reform did less well that exit polls predicted, for which I'm glad, but they have quite a high vote share. THe LibDems had a brilliant night.

A nice collection of Tory scalps for new MP's, Rees Mogg and Truss amoung them.

I stayed up until 3am and then had to go to bed, so I didn't see the big scalps taken, I'm tired today though.

It dosen't feel all unicorns and rainbow, frollicking fauns, and splashing mermaids, but I'm glad we've got some change, but it's a poisoned chalice for Starmer and gang, this country has so many problems in need of fixing. But I hope we have a stable government and not all this continual chopping and changing of PM and other ministers, I think part of the problems have been caused by so many reshuffles, ministers don't have time to get on top of their brief before they're moved on. That means any policy objectives they had are discarded by the successor, so nothing gets done and the rot sets deeper.

Parents
  • Given all of the problems already caused by the Tories in the U.K. I am very fearful about what will next happen under Labour - they will find themselves out of their depth, facing serious social unrest, possibly an all-out race war and civil war - at which point they will find that they will have no other option but to hand over power to the milltary and allow a provisional milltary government to take charge - the tipping point could come when they try to reverse Brexit or if there are any more economic problems, this could drive people over the edge, there could be large scale rioting and looting on the streets 

• Why on earth would we end up with a military dictatorship? I don't think we'll have civil unrest, ever since the Civil War and the Restoration of the monarchy the estabilishment have been very good at giving people just enough to have something to lose, I think if the Tories had won we might have seen a summer of rioting.

It is a big job to turn things around again, but I think many people seem to accept that they have to pay more tax if they want public services like the NHS, one of the problems with this country is that we've been told ever since Thatcher that we can have champagne services on a beer budget.

I agree that the rise of Reform is worrying, but they didn't do nearly as well as exit polls suggested, Farage says he's coming for Labour, but with only 3 MP's he will be hard pressed to do so as he will have to abide by parliamentary rules. I don't think Labour will try and take us back into the EU, we wouldn't get anywhere near as good a deal as we had when we left. But I think he might bring us closer over a few things where it will make a big difference, like a vetinary agreement, which would take away a huge amount of red tape. As well as things like co-operation on security, so as we and the EU can share more information on threats, especially as he want to go after people smuggling gangs. Of course we don't know what the EU will look like over the next few weeks, it could swing to the far right and break up or at least curtail EU powers?

One thing I really do think will make a big difference is business investment, chaos and instability in government has been a big issue in stopping business to invest here, whether they're already based here or are wanting to come here. If we do end up with a closer trading arrangement with the EU then more businesses will come here as we will a platform into Europe.

• Why on earth would we end up with a military dictatorship? I don't think we'll have civil unrest, ever since the Civil War and the Restoration of the monarchy the estabilishment have been very good at giving people just enough to have something to lose, I think if the Tories had won we might have seen a summer of rioting.

It is a big job to turn things around again, but I think many people seem to accept that they have to pay more tax if they want public services like the NHS, one of the problems with this country is that we've been told ever since Thatcher that we can have champagne services on a beer budget.

I agree that the rise of Reform is worrying, but they didn't do nearly as well as exit polls suggested, Farage says he's coming for Labour, but with only 3 MP's he will be hard pressed to do so as he will have to abide by parliamentary rules. I don't think Labour will try and take us back into the EU, we wouldn't get anywhere near as good a deal as we had when we left. But I think he might bring us closer over a few things where it will make a big difference, like a vetinary agreement, which would take away a huge amount of red tape. As well as things like co-operation on security, so as we and the EU can share more information on threats, especially as he want to go after people smuggling gangs. Of course we don't know what the EU will look like over the next few weeks, it could swing to the far right and break up or at least curtail EU powers?

One thing I really do think will make a big difference is business investment, chaos and instability in government has been a big issue in stopping business to invest here, whether they're already based here or are wanting to come here. If we do end up with a closer trading arrangement with the EU then more businesses will come here as we will a platform into Europe.

Children
No Data