Anew government

Well that was a thumping majority, but I think a wide but shallow one. Reform did less well that exit polls predicted, for which I'm glad, but they have quite a high vote share. THe LibDems had a brilliant night.

A nice collection of Tory scalps for new MP's, Rees Mogg and Truss amoung them.

I stayed up until 3am and then had to go to bed, so I didn't see the big scalps taken, I'm tired today though.

It dosen't feel all unicorns and rainbow, frollicking fauns, and splashing mermaids, but I'm glad we've got some change, but it's a poisoned chalice for Starmer and gang, this country has so many problems in need of fixing. But I hope we have a stable government and not all this continual chopping and changing of PM and other ministers, I think part of the problems have been caused by so many reshuffles, ministers don't have time to get on top of their brief before they're moved on. That means any policy objectives they had are discarded by the successor, so nothing gets done and the rot sets deeper.

Parents
  • I think this screenshot of a chart on the BBC website is a good indicator of how skewed results are without proportional representation:

• I think this screenshot of a chart on the BBC website is a good indicator of how skewed results are without proportional representation:

I saw there were just 2% more of the vote share for labour this election but this translated to double the number of seats (to 64% of all the available seats).

That is pretty absurd.

I'm starting to think that in spite of all the failings of PR it may be the least bad option for the future.

Not that any of the major parties would allow it to be voted in as it would destroy their chance to have a supermajority in power for just 34% of voters (not even 34% of the population).

I saw there were just 2% more of the vote share for labour this election but this translated to double the number of seats (to 64% of all the available seats).

That is pretty absurd.

I'm starting to think that in spite of all the failings of PR it may be the least bad option for the future.

Not that any of the major parties would allow it to be voted in as it would destroy their chance to have a supermajority in power for just 34% of voters (not even 34% of the population).

Children