Garden warfare

I’m at war.

I’ve been doing some gardening. My mental health team suggested it last year because, and I quote, “it’s a no stress hobby that will get you outside in the fresh air and it’ll be good for me”. They were right about the fresh air, that can’t be denied. And I was feeling better with no stress until-they came. I am of course referring to the biggest pest in anyone’s garden: snails and slugs!

Crime scene photo #6.

Seemingly overnight snails and slugs have ransacked my garden and are terrorising my flowers and strawberries. I attempted to garden last year, wanted to grow some strawberries as they’re my fav to eat and they’re also healthy. I follow this guide sheet on healthy eating as I’ve got IBS and certain foods, generally the unhealthy ones-set off digestive upset for me.

So I’m trying to do healthy eating to better manage and prevent these issues.

But even with the healthy fresh summer air the stress is mounting up! Despite my best efforts these slugs have launched a devastating attack. Strawberries are at risk, some have been eaten whole or mutilated in severe cowardly attacks. These cowardice slugs dare not strike during the day-they only come out at night when I’m asleep, too afraid to face me honourably during the day.

Don't let this cuteness fool you!

Lol! Ok it's not quite that bad but seriously is there any advice on how to best deal with these little slugs? I don’t want to get any poison pellets as I live on a mountain in a rural area and the birds might eat them, I also despite myself don’t like the idea of hurting the slugs. But I also do get extremely stressed when my strawberries are looking nearly ready for picking and then a day later they’ve been devoured. All my hard work wasted.

It’s annoying but I do like the challenge lol-although it’s embarrassing that I’m being outwitted by a slug! Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions on how to deal with these garden pests are more than welcome...

Parents
  • Grow or get yourself some marigolds. My Gramny does this every year she calls them suicidal marigolds lol because their purpose is to be eaten so the slugs eat them instead of your strawberries. It works too. My Granny uses them each year, her neighbour does too and my dad's started doing the same and it works for him well.

• Grow or get yourself some marigolds. My Gramny does this every year she calls them suicidal marigolds lol because their purpose is to be eaten so the slugs eat them instead of your strawberries. It works too. My Granny uses them each year, her neighbour does too and my dad's started doing the same and it works for him well.

Children
  • Hello-thank you for the tip. I've not heard of this technique before but a quick look online and it looks like this is a good step to take as slugs are addicted to marigolds. I might grow some anyway, that way I feed the slugs-and then still get to grow and enjoy my strawberries. Thanks!