Garden warfare

I’m at war.

I’ve been doing some gardening. My mental health team suggested it last year because, and I quote, “it’s a no stress hobby that will get you outside in the fresh air and it’ll be good for me”. They were right about the fresh air, that can’t be denied. And I was feeling better with no stress until-they came. I am of course referring to the biggest pest in anyone’s garden: snails and slugs!

Crime scene photo #6.

Seemingly overnight snails and slugs have ransacked my garden and are terrorising my flowers and strawberries. I attempted to garden last year, wanted to grow some strawberries as they’re my fav to eat and they’re also healthy. I follow this guide sheet on healthy eating as I’ve got IBS and certain foods, generally the unhealthy ones-set off digestive upset for me.

So I’m trying to do healthy eating to better manage and prevent these issues.

But even with the healthy fresh summer air the stress is mounting up! Despite my best efforts these slugs have launched a devastating attack. Strawberries are at risk, some have been eaten whole or mutilated in severe cowardly attacks. These cowardice slugs dare not strike during the day-they only come out at night when I’m asleep, too afraid to face me honourably during the day.

Don't let this cuteness fool you!

Lol! Ok it's not quite that bad but seriously is there any advice on how to best deal with these little slugs? I don’t want to get any poison pellets as I live on a mountain in a rural area and the birds might eat them, I also despite myself don’t like the idea of hurting the slugs. But I also do get extremely stressed when my strawberries are looking nearly ready for picking and then a day later they’ve been devoured. All my hard work wasted.

It’s annoying but I do like the challenge lol-although it’s embarrassing that I’m being outwitted by a slug! Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions on how to deal with these garden pests are more than welcome...

Parents
  • Paige, I just wanted to say that your post and the humorous way you have expressed yourself caused me to chuckle, as have some of the comments. Thank you! Grinning

Although I am unable to offer any humane methods of ridding your garden of slugs and snails, your post reminded me of an attempt I'd had of growing strawberries several years ago. All was well until the hanging pouch they were growing out of broke. I had forgotten about it until some years later, when I discovered I had strawberries growing up through the gaps between my paving slabs, in a different area of my garden.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your garden warfare. I appreciate how frustrating it can be when one has invested time and money on one's garden, only for it to feel like your hard work has been sabotaged. I had a similar issue with squirrels after planting an assortment of bulbs, to the extent that I invested in rolls of steel wire mesh to make squirrel-proof cloches. Somehow, the crafty squirrels still managed to run amok and cause mayhem. 

• Paige, I just wanted to say that your post and the humorous way you have expressed yourself caused me to chuckle, as have some of the comments. Thank you! Grinning

Although I am unable to offer any humane methods of ridding your garden of slugs and snails, your post reminded me of an attempt I'd had of growing strawberries several years ago. All was well until the hanging pouch they were growing out of broke. I had forgotten about it until some years later, when I discovered I had strawberries growing up through the gaps between my paving slabs, in a different area of my garden.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your garden warfare. I appreciate how frustrating it can be when one has invested time and money on one's garden, only for it to feel like your hard work has been sabotaged. I had a similar issue with squirrels after planting an assortment of bulbs, to the extent that I invested in rolls of steel wire mesh to make squirrel-proof cloches. Somehow, the crafty squirrels still managed to run amok and cause mayhem. 

Children
  • The squirrels near me stole my tulips (several varieties), daffodils, and a couple of others I can't remember, maybe hyacinths? They didn't seem to like crocus or snowdrops. At least I'm hoping the snowdrops come up next year, as the packet said they don't always come up the first year after planting, so I guess I can't blame the squirrels yet. Next time I plant, I'll invest in some mesh too.

I never saw them dig them up, but I know they lived in the roof of the flats nearby, you'd regularly see them scamper up the 3 storeys into the attic. My friend's husband calls them tree rats.

• Hi Sparkly-nice to meet you! I’m glad my post could make you laugh. My eccentric side burst out this morning! Lol I’m normally a lot more shy and quiet than that. I had a good laugh earlier when I read it again and also read some other people’s funny moments regarding snails.

I’m sorry about your strawberry growing attempt-then again you must be an amazing gardener and done something really special with your strawberries as they grew up through the gaps of your paving slabs! I love it. I do find it really incredible how stuff can grow so randomly like that. Starting to wonder if I should grow my strawberries under our paving slabs, the snails and slugs might not be able to squeeze down there. Do you still grow in your garden? Would you like to take over managing my garden? I have jammy dodgers... 

Thanks for your wishes and luck-I’m going to need all the luck I can get. These garden pests are smarter than people give them credit for! 

Sorry to hear that you were struggling with squirrels and that they got past your defences. They are as crafty as the slugs. A few years ago when my step mum was gardening she had an issue with squirrels coming in and ransacking what she was growing. Thankfully I haven’t had any dealings with squirrels, yet-truth be told the snails and slugs have probably eaten them too. I definitely wouldn’t put it past them. Slowly but surely they’re taking over the whole garden. If I don’t come online one of these days you’ll know I’ve been captured, or worse.

And on that unpleasant note I am going to have my tea. Relaxed

Have a lovely night. X