Garden warfare

I’m at war.

I’ve been doing some gardening. My mental health team suggested it last year because, and I quote, “it’s a no stress hobby that will get you outside in the fresh air and it’ll be good for me”. They were right about the fresh air, that can’t be denied. And I was feeling better with no stress until-they came. I am of course referring to the biggest pest in anyone’s garden: snails and slugs!

Crime scene photo #6.

Seemingly overnight snails and slugs have ransacked my garden and are terrorising my flowers and strawberries. I attempted to garden last year, wanted to grow some strawberries as they’re my fav to eat and they’re also healthy. I follow this guide sheet on healthy eating as I’ve got IBS and certain foods, generally the unhealthy ones-set off digestive upset for me.

So I’m trying to do healthy eating to better manage and prevent these issues.

But even with the healthy fresh summer air the stress is mounting up! Despite my best efforts these slugs have launched a devastating attack. Strawberries are at risk, some have been eaten whole or mutilated in severe cowardly attacks. These cowardice slugs dare not strike during the day-they only come out at night when I’m asleep, too afraid to face me honourably during the day.

Don't let this cuteness fool you!

Lol! Ok it's not quite that bad but seriously is there any advice on how to best deal with these little slugs? I don’t want to get any poison pellets as I live on a mountain in a rural area and the birds might eat them, I also despite myself don’t like the idea of hurting the slugs. But I also do get extremely stressed when my strawberries are looking nearly ready for picking and then a day later they’ve been devoured. All my hard work wasted.

It’s annoying but I do like the challenge lol-although it’s embarrassing that I’m being outwitted by a slug! Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions on how to deal with these garden pests are more than welcome...

Parents
  • Ha ha. Lovely. I'm with you on the IBS - I did a FODMAP elimination diet and worked out a load of things that are bad for me. I have not quite got on top of what I can cope with but at least I can now sleep at night without constant churning. I'm also with you on the strawberries. Also a slug/snail problem - I just went out to get a picture and they don't look too bad today, but there have been some strawberry massacres in the past. Hmmm - I don't know how to upload pics from my PC..

• worked it out! The upload button isn't very obvious.

• I’m glad you’re finding your FODMAP helpful so far. I know you what you mean-I was so surprised with how many foods which I originally thought were good for me were actually causing me a lot of grief in the GI department. It’s actually crazy how many you’ve got to be watchful for. If you keep a food journal that can help you figure out what’s right for you? I keep one now and it helps me to keep track of everything I’m eating and what’s causing upset. I hope it continues to improve for you. Sorry to hear you’re facing the same issue with snails/slugs. It’s a real problem lol.

I’m not sure how to upload on PC, I use my phone as I couldn’t see a button or place to upload pics on PC. Glad you worked it out though! Yours is looking lovely. Wish mine looked as good!!!

• Actually, the thing that my wife (I've realized this looks like I'm claiming credit!) has been really successful at with little effort is growing mint. It's fairly useless as a staple food, but it smells nice and you can make tea out of it.

I've got a large trough of lots of different types of mint: eg. (from the top of my head) - peppermint, garden, chocolate, eau de cologne, pineapple etc and every year we have lots of mint moths, which are quite beautiful.

• Actually - another thought... The IBS/Anxiety thing is a real f**k*r especially in social situations. The social anxiety is bad enough. But then you have to take into account the IBS. And then you have to take into account the extra anxiety from the IBS etc etc etc etc... 

• Thank you. Actually, the thing that my wife (I've realized this looks like I'm claiming credit!) has been really successful at with little effort is growing mint. It's fairly useless as a staple food, but it smells nice and you can make tea out of it.

Yup anxiety/IBS ... Disappointed I'm exactly the same.

• I hope your luck stays with you. Blush Would be nice to have that for mine in the end. I've always loved the idea of having a garden with beautiful plants and fruits growing in it. I'm a long way off from that at the moment but it's something fun to work towards. 

IBS is an absolutely awful thing to suffer from. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. The effects it can cause are vile and at times it can be really debilitating. The worst is if you accidentally eat something you forgot you can't have then the next few hours or sometimes days you get pain, stomach churning, noise and if you're really unlucky upset stomach which is just-a pain in the rear as you said. I see what you mean about the food diary, it works for some things but not for all and depending on a lot of different things. If I could have just one wish I'd wish the same. I really hate IBS. Having anxiety doesn't help it either, both affects the other which is a terrible combination. 

• I hope your luck stays with you. Blush Would be nice to have that for mine in the end. I've always loved the idea of having a garden with beautiful plants and fruits growing in it. I'm a long way off from that at the moment but it's something fun to work towards. 

IBS is an absolutely awful thing to suffer from. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. The effects it can cause are vile and at times it can be really debilitating. The worst is if you accidentally eat something you forgot you can't have then the next few hours or sometimes days you get pain, stomach churning, noise and if you're really unlucky upset stomach which is just-a pain in the rear as you said. I see what you mean about the food diary, it works for some things but not for all and depending on a lot of different things. If I could have just one wish I'd wish the same. I really hate IBS. Having anxiety doesn't help it either, both affects the other which is a terrible combination. 

Children
  • Actually, the thing that my wife (I've realized this looks like I'm claiming credit!) has been really successful at with little effort is growing mint. It's fairly useless as a staple food, but it smells nice and you can make tea out of it.

I've got a large trough of lots of different types of mint: eg. (from the top of my head) - peppermint, garden, chocolate, eau de cologne, pineapple etc and every year we have lots of mint moths, which are quite beautiful.

• Thank you. Actually, the thing that my wife (I've realized this looks like I'm claiming credit!) has been really successful at with little effort is growing mint. It's fairly useless as a staple food, but it smells nice and you can make tea out of it.

Yup anxiety/IBS ... Disappointed I'm exactly the same.