Sarcasm

Apparently, autistic people don’t understand sarcasm. This is of course absolutely true except for the fact that it isn’t. I've posted a *very* short video about this on my Autistic Not Alien channel on YouTube. 

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on sarcasm.

Parents
  • I seldom have difficulty understanding sarcasm, and am not averse to being intentionally sarcastic. There have also been numerous occasions when I've been accused of being sarcastic when that had never been my intention.

It is said that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I am of the belief that there are two types of sarcasm... One that is fairly harmless and not intended to offend,  and one that can seem intentionally cruel and unkind to the person or people on the receiving end.

• I seldom have difficulty understanding sarcasm, and am not averse to being intentionally sarcastic. There have also been numerous occasions when I've been accused of being sarcastic when that had never been my intention.

It is said that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I am of the belief that there are two types of sarcasm... One that is fairly harmless and not intended to offend,  and one that can seem intentionally cruel and unkind to the person or people on the receiving end.

Children
  • One of my teachers at school used to say sarcasm was the lowest form of with but the highest form of intelligence... he was always sarcastic. I can mostly spot sarcasm if the person's body language or general demeanour indicates it, but if they are deliberately hiding things or lying I don't pick up on it.

I don't get a lot of jokes. And I think my favourite joke, other people don't really think it's a joke.

What is the difference between a set of bagpipes and an onion?

Nobody cries when you stick a knife in the bagpipes.