Job title change in work for 20% extra role

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any help that can be done in the situation I am in. I have autism which my company is aware of, my job made employees redundant and later on I had to sign a title change as this would only be 20% more workload but this includes doing not only my role but also the role the employees were made redundant for. After changing title and redundancies made my job has turned out to be over double what was said and not the job I signed up for. Is there anything I can do other than finding a new job? 

• I would approach this in 2 ways.

1 - join a union. You may have to check your contract does not prevent this but it will provide you with the support you may need when the "you're not performing well" accusations start.

2 - Start detailing where your time is spent each and every day. It is tedious but exceptionally useful when your effectiveness is called into question - which it sounds is their intention.

Start asking for weekly performance reviews with your manager, quoting concerns about the targets being realistic. Highlight the areas where you are unable to meet the targets and show where your time is going to - then ask for advice on what tasks need to be abandoned to reach the targets and what you should prioritise.

Keep this all in email form and send copies to your personal email in case you need to sue later.

Now you have proven you have concerns that the expectations are unrealistic and you have sought advice on how to tune your efforts to make the targets reachable. This is pretty much your defence from being penalise for failing to perform and gives you all the ammunition for an unfair dismissal case should it ever come to pass, so will make management realise they shouldn't even consider this approach.

my job has turned out to be over double what was said and not the job I signed up for.

When you signed the job title change then the new job description would have been exactly what you have NOW signed up for. Your old job description is history I'm afraid.

Reading the approach being taken by the company here makes me think that one of 2 things is happening:

1 - they are keeping you on in the hope you will do lots of unpaid overtime to keep your job, thus saving them the cost of the other employees or overtime.

2 - they are planning on getting rid of you but because of your disability don't want to risk a lawasuit so are making it so hard that you will choose to leave - no redundancy cost to them.

Either way I see the future as being grim so I personally would be looking for another job in a different company.

• you shouldnt have signed the new contract.... by signing you agreed the new position and new jobs so you dont have a leg to stand on.

if you refused to sign then the employer is in a tough position as theyd have to pay you alot to get rid of you as they are the ones who are breaking contract. but you signed.... so yeah, all you can do is hand in notice and get nothing for it. you could have got them to pay you alot to let you go or forced them to keep your contract and job as it was.

• I'd suggest asking Citizens Advice:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/changes-to-employment-contracts-overview/

talk to an adviser

If you're a member of a union, they may also be able to help.