This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What is this "White Supremacy" I keep hearing about?

This term gets bandied about quite a lot these days, and it seems to mean different things to different people.

So what is it?

Is it real, or just a psychological tool being used to marginalise and confuse white people in their own country as some alledge?

I'm white, and I can tell you people quite sincerely I don't feel "supreme" in any way. 

I will admit I did fake it once, when I got stranded in Dharan International Airport, and the only viable solution to my serious problem not of my making, was to make it someone else's problem... 

Seriously, All I needed to do was strike a folded arms pose in the empty concourse, wear a stern expression and tap my foot pointedly for about ten minutes and a guy ran up to help me!

I tried to act like a traveller in a 1950's film and it worked like gangbusters.

I didn't actually SAY "now look here, my man" but I did rather complain, and ask for a representatvie of British Airways to be summoned, on the basis that it was B.A. who had stranded me at midnight, in Dharan, at the start of one their bigger religious bank holidays whilst I am supposed to have been delivered to Rhyad!

The B.A. representative (who'd clearly been woken up!) got me a connecting fllght and a trip to a hotel for a wash and a nap before being returned to find that my connecting flight was cancelled.... Literally a melee broke out amongst my fellow travellers and in amongst the shouting I heard someone say the magic word "Taxi"... 

Still playing the part of a 1950's english traveller I grabbed the nearest two shouting people and said "You need to go to Rhyad, I need to go to Rhyad, CAN WE GET A TAXI??" 

Long story short, 450 kilcks to Rhyad in a monstrously large cheverolet after haggling (The others were going pay the asked rate, I lived in Brimingham at the time amongst middle eastern people, so I haggled, didn't know any better) cost me 40$ U.S....

I blame all those 1950's films. I really do. T.V. and FIlm is literally "programming". Good thing the people at the airprort must have watched some of the same films I did...  

I was so out of my depth. Outside Rhyad international airprot where my taxi had dropped me, (as I did not actually HAVE a final destination, the company was supposed to have picked me up at the airport some 8 hours previously, and none of the mobile numbers given were working fro me, so once I was in place at the airprort I had to get my O/H back in the U.K. to let em know I needed picking up). A sheikh looking dude was beating a smaller man with the obviously heavy and substantial black headband of his headgear...

In Dharan I'd got used to people stopping and literally falling to the fall and praying on the hour every hour.

And I'd learned that people will do a LOT for a few dollars U$ (me included).just like over here..

When chaos erupted around me as the flights were cancelled, and people were shouting at each other, my instinct was to organise a co-operative solution of like minded people with the same objective in order to achieve my own goal.

Is that "white supremacy"?

I don't know, I was too busy trying to get to my destination and adapt to the unfamiliar environment in whch I found myself, and solve the real problems I encountered, to be worried about the colour of my co-travellers. 

Seriously, what is this white supremacy they keep talking about? Is it a nickname for cocaine perhaps?

And where can I get some? ;c)

Parents
  • Hey guys, let's take out the emotion from this for a while and try to establish facts.

White supremacy is the belief that white people are inherently superior to other races. Confusingly, this generally includes Jewish people (?) You probably know what groups have had this idea during the history of our world, particularly during WW2, but I believe that thankfully most people at this point in time would not think this way. I'm certain nobody on this forum does.

White privilege is the belief that, although white people can be poor and disadvantaged, those who are black and from ethnic groups are far more likely to be stopped and / or arrested by the police, therefore even poor white people have an advantage over them. I think that this is what is being debated here.

I found some figures that show that it is true that in 2022 in UK, people were more likely to be stopped and searched if they were black or ethnic minority, than if they were white. However, this is one measure of "advantage". Research in educational achievement by race and class in the UK shows that poor white pupils do less well at school and are less likely to think about going to university than poor black and ethnic minority pupils. Both of these facts impact the lives of those who are disadvantaged, whatever their race or skin colour. 

Is the police force inherently racist? Are teaching staff subconsciously giving more attention to poor black or ethnic minority pupils to avoid being seen as racist? I don't know, but I do know that the government should be doing something to change it. Individuals should not be blamed en masse for an idea held by a minority.

There is also "white guilt" which is the idea that because rich white people bought black slaves from ( black) slave traders, current generations of white people should feel bad about it. Obviously slavery is abhorrent but white people have been slaves too, and Jewish people - who are white - have had an awful history of treatment by others. While it is important to support the belief that everyone should be treated equally, nobody should be blamed for something that happened before they were born, just because they have the same skin colour as the (now dead) people who abused others.

We just need to all treat each other with respect.

• Hey guys, let's take out the emotion from this for a while and try to establish facts.

White supremacy is the belief that white people are inherently superior to other races. Confusingly, this generally includes Jewish people (?) You probably know what groups have had this idea during the history of our world, particularly during WW2, but I believe that thankfully most people at this point in time would not think this way. I'm certain nobody on this forum does.

White privilege is the belief that, although white people can be poor and disadvantaged, those who are black and from ethnic groups are far more likely to be stopped and / or arrested by the police, therefore even poor white people have an advantage over them. I think that this is what is being debated here.

I found some figures that show that it is true that in 2022 in UK, people were more likely to be stopped and searched if they were black or ethnic minority, than if they were white. However, this is one measure of "advantage". Research in educational achievement by race and class in the UK shows that poor white pupils do less well at school and are less likely to think about going to university than poor black and ethnic minority pupils. Both of these facts impact the lives of those who are disadvantaged, whatever their race or skin colour. 

Is the police force inherently racist? Are teaching staff subconsciously giving more attention to poor black or ethnic minority pupils to avoid being seen as racist? I don't know, but I do know that the government should be doing something to change it. Individuals should not be blamed en masse for an idea held by a minority.

There is also "white guilt" which is the idea that because rich white people bought black slaves from ( black) slave traders, current generations of white people should feel bad about it. Obviously slavery is abhorrent but white people have been slaves too, and Jewish people - who are white - have had an awful history of treatment by others. While it is important to support the belief that everyone should be treated equally, nobody should be blamed for something that happened before they were born, just because they have the same skin colour as the (now dead) people who abused others.

We just need to all treat each other with respect.

Children
  • but is it respectful to have all of these terms that basically mean whoever is using them just hates white people?

how is a white person supposed to respond and be kind and civil to a person whos barking and snarling at us and claiming we are privileged and claiming we are racist supremacists? .... its disgustingly racist, and i dare anyone to snarl in my face and say all of these terms in their hate fueled way and see what my response would be to it. probably the same reaction youd get as saying the N word to a black person so yeah, all these terms are racist as hell

• White privilege is the belief that, although white people can be poor and disadvantaged, those who are black and from ethnic groups are far more likely to be stopped and / or arrested by the police, therefore even poor white people have an advantage over them. I think that this is what is being debated here.

Thank you for making this point.

I was finding it confusing.

It is actually white privilege that the OP must be talking about here and it is therefore meant to be the subject of the thread rather than 'white supremacy'.

Is it real, or just a psychological tool being used to marginalise and confuse white people in their own country